Bubble tip anemone

janet

Reefing newb
Hi all
I have just put a bubble tip anemone in my tank, but it seems to have settled round the back of the tank where we can't see it. I was thinking that if it hasn't moved to somewhere more visable in the next few days, I might move it... Do you think this will be okay?
janet

It is not okay. Anemones are some of the most difficult animals to keep in this hobby. They should not be added to a tank that has been running for less than a year because they require perfect water quality that a new tank can't provide. And they need very strong lights -- stronger than the lights that come standard with most nano tanks. You should really take it back to the store that you got it from.

+1 Biff
You should take it back because most likely it will die. The reason it moved behind the rock is because it is trying to find a more suitable place for light and/or water quality.

Well that's encouraging. Thanks!
I have a friend who set up her tank in October, she put 3 bubbletips in there in january, and they are all very healthy and blooming.

It usually takes several months for them to die. By the time you realize they're sick, it's too late. You try to pull them out, but they disintegrate in your hand. When this happens, they tend to crash the entire tank, killing other animals with it.

It doesn't mean you'll never be able to have one. My first one took about 2 months to die. It started out around 5 inches in size and just kept getting smaller and smaller. It ended up about the size of a quarter when it finally died. Some just die right away and pollute the tank.

Anemones are a lot like any other animal we try to keep.They'll usually try to hide until they feel comfortable.
You could try to move it,but its not going to stay where you put it.

Back