Bubble Trap Build Project

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I posted a thread a week or so ago about a project I wanted to take on that would make the worrying about a bubble trap breaking loose in your sump a thing of the past.

I built a sump out of a 75Gal tank in my tank build thread and the first baffle of the bubble trap came loose on the bottom and this was after building it with great care. I was told to use Glass in the Glass tank but I cannot have Glass baffles. If they ever cracked and made it into the main display it would be bad.

So I went out and purchased a new 75Gal tank on sale for $99 and before I just went and built it the same way I came up with a plan to build the entire bubble trap externally and then place it into the sump. I can slide it back and forth if needed and it can easily be held in place as well.

If I decide to silicone it in place it will have built in support against the water weight as well and will be virtually immune to the normal pressure and wear normal single baffles have to handle.

The refugium baffle will be single but it has not given me any issue except a minor bow which is no big deal.

Sine this thread is only to show the Bubble Trap I may include this project in my full Sump Build Thread. Trust me so far it is so easy anyone can do it if they want to.

Ok so the fist picture I am posting is a diagram of the build.

The main structure is clear.

The RED represents the 4 stacked 1/4" Acrylic rectangles that give the trap one inch for the water to pass under.

The GREEN are the guides for the center Bubble Trap Sheet.

The BLUE is the Center Bubble Trap Sheet.

The Bubble Trap is 3.5 inches wide in total so the diagram is not to scale.

It has the taller side panels to allow for the guides to be higher than the outside baffles because of course the center baffle sits higher.

The panel that the center guides sit on is capped by the two outside panels to give it a natural brace against water pressure.

It all sits on the bottom panel.

Now while these braces are not super steel braces it is much more than a single baffle has by itself.

Attachments

• Outside-Bubble-Trap-Project.jpg
    Outside-Bubble-Trap-Project.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 710
Here are photos of the project being made. I didn't take pictures all along but you can see what I have made.

The overall appearance is not the cleanest but once it is done I will try to clean up all the extra silicone that got on it.

I am not to concerned about the look as it is under water and will look fine but I do not want loose pieces floating around.

The photo with the small blue center baffle is just when I was making sure it was all aligned good before I glued it shut which I did and it is drying now.

Attachments

• Bubble-Trap-1.jpg
    Bubble-Trap-1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 454
  • Bubble-Trap-2.jpg
    Bubble-Trap-2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 511
  • Bubble-Trap-3.jpg
    Bubble-Trap-3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 496
  • Bubble-Trap-4.jpg
    Bubble-Trap-4.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 478
  • Bubble-Trap-5.jpg
    Bubble-Trap-5.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 683
My main goal which will also be in the Sump Build Thread is this.

I have 2 intakes for my 220Gal and both are currently running into one square Sock.

I purchased the eShopps Dual X-tra Large Square Sock System but my Reef Octo Ext 250 has a 16" Foot Print.

I have to move the bubble trap down to be able to fit the skimmer and the eShopps Dual Sock Holder in place.

I have to change the sock every 3-4 days 4 if I get lucky because everything is going into one until I make room and then hopefully it will be 5-6 days.

I will be able to just slide them out and new ones in place in 2 seconds.

I now know I can shrink my Refugium and move the center Return down quite a bit.

The Skimmer and Sock Combo take up HALF of the 75 Gallon Sump WHoaoaoaoa well for both to fit comfortably.

I have to hurry when this happens because I have to pump all the water into my Brute and then change sumps, do plumbing and all this stuff like my Carbon Reactor pump and Turbo Twist 12x Pump on so on before I can turn it back on.

Ughhhhhhhhh x 10101010101

Back