Buddy's180 Reef Upgrade

Well poop, I only saw blue and purple primer :shock:

I used 2 spray cans electric. I masked off the tank and surrounding areas best I could as spray painting indoors would be a challenge and mess. It went on great and even though. If you use it, make sure to use a box cutter with a sharp blade to cut the plasti dip before removing the masking tape. I started to pull one side of the tape off and it tried to pull the plasti dip with it so I used my razor blade and cut straight against the masking tape to separate it from the plasti dip.

Well poop, I only saw blue and purple primer :shock:

I used 2 spray cans electric. I masked off the tank and surrounding areas best I could as spray painting indoors would be a challenge and mess. It went on great and even though. If you use it, make sure to use a box cutter with a sharp blade to cut the plasti dip before removing the masking tape. I started to pull one side of the tape off and it tried to pull the plasti dip with it so I used my razor blade and cut straight against the masking tape to separate it from the plasti dip.
Thanks buddy, much appreciated.

Made some more progress towards the tank, purchased and installed the carbon and gfo reactors, also received the light for my fuge. Currently have it resting on the tank but in the future, I may hang it above and house some mangroves.

My sump said to tell your sump, its not the looks that count, only in how its used ;) so therefor my sump sees your sump as being equal.

ATO reservoir came in today, will post a picture later. I need help with my apex, ato, and kalkstirrer now.My issue is that I havent played with it yet and need to know the best setup to keep all of my water params constant and water in the sump constant as well. anyone have any advice on this?

That's sick man! Just sick. I look at my sorry tank and cry. I tell myself one day I will have a tank done up right. Still deciding whether to stay where I'm at or move in the near future and build then? I'd imagine your not going anywhere for a while.

Thank you! I have spent a lot of time planning and saving for this tank so the neatness was the result. My 75 was more or less thrown together. I have the tank filled with fresh RO water now with the pumps running. The MP40's are still on the 75g and will be the last thing thats moved over once I sell that tank. So far, so good. Only 2 leaks, one at the return pump inlet and one on an elbow from the drain (Its right over the sump so no worrisome leaks around bulkhealds (thank god). Now I am trying to locate the "noise" and dampen it. The siphon break in my return outlets is one noise that I will try to eliminate as the water under pressure is shooting out of it making a splash effect in the overflow box. Another noise is the drain into the fuge, I believe if I add a "T" fitting in here with a downspout below the water level, that will reduce that and finally, the drain section in the sump; there is so much water falling that its crashing over the first baffle making another splashing noise. As for the skimmer and return pump, its relatively quiet. Just a small hum that is not noticeable when doors are closed. As for the update since the last one:

I installed the ATO reservoir, made a bracket held on by a magnet for a float switch (its the little black square in the photo, a little DIY to say the least. I took some acrylic that was in the garage, added some heat and bent it to a bracket shape. Drilled a hole, mounted the float switch, and drilled 2 additional holes that hold the ATO lines secure in the reservoir. This switch will alert me via email through the apex when the reservoir is low on water)

added an 800watt coralvue heater controlled by apex

mounted the aquamedic dosing pump for the kalk stirrer and a toms aqualifter for fresh water top off only

installed 2 more float switches in the sump with brackets (purchased these)

made another bracket for the ATO return, kalk return, and calc reactor return lines to keep them secure in the sump (same process, heated acrylic to shape and drilled holes)

added some plastic straps to hold the PVC pipe in place to prevent movement and sagging

soldered the float switches to extra wire then hooked up to breakout box (used heat shrink to insulate the spice connections and also to color code which chord went to which switch; red, white, blue

mounted the apex and ran wiring neatly in the sump / cabinets; used black flex conduit to hide the ugly wires and keep it neat while securing everything with outdoor electrical mounts (little white brackets attached to the stand: notice them fastened to wires and tubing)

Once I fix the leaks, I will then program the apex and switches, add the salt, mount the display controller (still deciding where to), throw in live sand and base rock with a little live rock from the 75 to start a cycle. I also plan to nuke alot of my old liverock as it has some unwanted hitchhikers and will add it to the tank over time as it cycles. While the tank is cycling, I will start building my DIY LED fixtures. Here is a few photos and a quick video I took earlier this morning to give you a general idea.

video to follow; uploading now.

Are you going to be adding a circulating pump in the refugium ? Seems like it would need it with both entrance and exit at the same height, Flow would just be going straight acros the top.

A downspout will be added on the inlet side and a strainer will be added to keep chaeto from exiting. I added the salt last night and watched the flow in the sump and fuge, there is actually a nice slow tumble in the fuge. The downspout wll just help prevent splashing on the fuge light

Ahhh ok sounds good Any back up plans if that strainer get clogged ???

Well actually now that I look at it the water is only half way up on the bulk head so it should be fine just make sure you keep an eye on it.

There is 2 drains :)

Biggest issue I'm working with now is air bubbles causing a lot of splash so I am at the drawing bored for a fix.

Redid the plumbing through the fuge, there began to be a lot of sediment which told me it would only get worse when the tank was up and running. I removed the wye fitting and just have one drain from the left side now. The fuge is now fed off the return pump with a 3/4 pvc and ball valve. I have added filter socks for the time being to filter debris, lower the splashing sound, and remove bubbles. Also, I added 80lbs of live sand and 30 lbs of base rock. I cooked about 30 pounds of rock from the 75g in a muriatic acid bath and currently have it curing in the garage until its safe to add to the tank. Hopefully the cycle will kick off soon. Have about 15 lbs of healthy live rock without any hitch-hikers on it that will be added to the tank in a week or so to help with the cycle.

Last edited:
Back