Bugs in the tank - Now what????

NotiReef

Reefing newb
Guys....I just noticed tiny bugs in my tank. They are mostly on the rocks towards the back. Copepods I am guessing...they are very very small light brown/white in color and moving around like crazy.

So now what??? :question:

Is the tank headed off in the right direction???

It's been 2 weeks since the tank is up (live rock/live sand/inverts...nothing else in it) I had hair algea growing on the live rock but the hermits took care of that....rocks are picked clean now. Also noticed lots of tubes on the rocks...a few worms are out and about too (they are red and thin string like...should I be worried????
Someone told me to add a damsel in the to help it along...but i think the live rock will do fine. Am I right? I would like to see the sand bed sifted a bit more...is there anything that I can add now to help with that? Or should I wait????

sounds like copepods, and i wouldnt be worried about the worms either. also the friend that told you to add a damsel, dont take advice from him anymore

Yeah,those are pods.
Forget the DAMNsel.But go a head and run a test for ammonia and nitrite.I'm betting that since your seeing the bugs and worms,that you tank has cycled.

Just the live rock will cycle the tank just fine. Do not add a damsel. They are hardy, and are more likely to survive a cycle than other types of fish, but if they do survive, they are so aggressive that they will try to kill any fish you add afterwards. Just avoid damsels altogether. Since you can cycle using live rock, I think it's pointless to waste fish's lives and your money adding fish to "speed it up".

I know what you mean...I am def. not adding the damsel....since the pods are all over the tank I am going to test the water and see whats up. Thanks for the advice guys and gals...it is much appreciated!!:mrgreen:

Back