Building 72 gal bowfront ... want to make a reef tank

What is a good filtration setup for 75 gallon reef tank?

• Canister only with reef

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Live rock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hudel

Reefing newb
Building 72 gal bowfront ... want to make a reef tank however I have read lots of conflicting info so I don't know whether to shot or go blind. In particular some say a canister is great and other say no stinking canister... I was think a can + a skimmer (hang on back) and no sump.
I have a just built a great stand out of heavy duty hardwoods, with a naple and walnut canopy (no lights yet). I had invested in a Rena xP4 canister...and 50 pounds of live sand and salt. Think I'll get two 150 watt heaters...:question:

Attachments

• Fish Cabin 5 Top and Tank.JPG
    Fish Cabin 5 Top and Tank.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,297
  • Fish Cabin 2 w-shelf.JPG
    Fish Cabin 2 w-shelf.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,098
  • Fish Cabin 4 Inspection Crew.JPG
    Fish Cabin 4 Inspection Crew.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,546
go with 2lbs of live rock to 1 gallion of water in the tank also go with a good skimmer you dont need a canister filter as you will have a skimmer

Forget the canister and invest in plenty of live rock and good skimmer.That coupled with enough flow is all your really need.

[FONT=&quot]I got the Coralife Super 125 working within 15 minutes out the box (after assembling all the parts, another 15 minutes).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The foam adjustment knob is easy to adjust. I have a new 72 gal bow front. The Coralife Super 125 has the same pump as the Super 220 so it’s got lots of power. I have setup as HOB and it’s about $100 less than the ASM G2 and seems very well built...certainly much better than the SeaClone. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also I am using a Rena xP4 to "polish" the water. I also circulates the water because it’s a real (quiet) work horse. And it also setup easy as advertised, seems to be a really great device.[/FONT]

Good Skimmer and a lot of Live Rock (Hehe...)

Also, if your hard pressed for money, return the canister (or sell it) and get yourself a sump/fuge, you will not regret it. The extra water volume will do a good deal for the tank, and I feel it would be a waste of room in that wonderful looking stand if you didn't.

Last edited:
Back