building a stand!

little_fish

So i need to build a new stand for my tank, and im a little scared because of how much the tank weighs when full. Is there someone on here who can give me some very solid plans on how to build this? I would like to leave the back mostly open for running the plumbing.

I also want to put a display refuge in there, so the front will only have curtain unless someone else has a clever idea

wow now this should spar\k some creativity cause you can do so much with some woodwork

I am excited to see this.

Dont let the weight worry you to much , a 46 gallon tank full you are only looking at a little over 500 pounds.. Give you a little hint on weight and what wood can hold easily, a 90 gallon tank full, per square inch is only about equivelant to a refrigerator..

quick list of what I would get for material
2x4 for studding
5/8 to 3/4 plywood for top (finished one side)
shiplap to wrap the sides where I wanted
trim to finish it off
stain and urethane

There are a lot of links out there on DIY stands. If you are worried about the weight then maybe use 4x4s. If you really want to do something cheap you can use stacked cinder blocks.

2x4's should be fine. I'm working on a new stand for my tank using 2x6 and 2x4's. I'm working with 2000+ lbs in my tank. The reason I'm going this route is the fact that the old stand from AGA is 3/4" plywood that is just doubled up in the corners about 2". My old 46gal was just 1/2" particle board. Many DIY stands are just way overkill.

my 150 is doubled up 2x4 and a plywood top that the
guy i bought it from painted black. ill buy some wood paneling
and cover the framing up someday

here are a couple of pics from my 90 build. It is 2x4 legs with 2x4 along bottom and 2x6 along the top

This thing could support an army tank

DSCF4155.jpg

DSCF4154.jpg

Hope that helps a bit

Back