Building light setup.

squibley2

Reefing newb
I was wondering if anyone has ever built a light set up for a SW tank before. I was looking for some info from someone who has done this. I was going to build a light for my new tank. It is about a 200 Gal tank so I was thinking 3x 250W MH and 3 or 4 VHO artinics. Which would put me at somewhere around 5-6 watts per gallon. I found some fixtures that I could get for 60 bucks a piece for the MHs and then take those apart and build them into a new housing that I was going to make. I am trying to do this economically rather then just shelling out 1200 bucks for a light.

Any help would be appreciated.
Kevin

I would recommend you checking out.

http://www.hellolights.com/elbalsys.html

or

I use two of these http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18371&cat=533&page=1 and have a 3x24" Icecap VHO sytem for supplemental light.

For people trying to buy lights with questions, Gary at championlighting was amazingly helpful and the reason I still use them for most my purchases to this day.

Hope this helps somehow.

Also www.briaquaticcabinets.com has some really nice cabinets. Could give you some ideas if you are building one.

Brandon

I personally wouldn't buy from ebay just my opinion though...

you can get the same or similar stuff for that price from a reputibale online dealer that will be there next week to help you and back the product when something goes wrong.

Thats my :twocents:.

BTW i was looking at calc reactors on ebay just last week and i was able to get both units i was interested in brand new from the manufacturer cheaper in both cases, so just be careful.

On the light itself though.... I prefer double ended MH's (HQI) and VHOs for suplemental light versus PCs and Mogul type Halides.

One more question? Are you trying to make Gumbo? Few fish, a shrimp or two, maybe a crab in 20 gallons with 1100 watts over it? HEHE I'll bring crackers and some rice. Just joking around assuming this if for an upgrade?

Brandon

Yea it is for a new tank that I am being given by a friend it is 175-225 Gal he is not sure what size but it is somewhere around that. I will keep looking online for some actual retailers thanks.

I think a retro kit would be your best option.The ebay auction is a nice price.I have been ebaying for a lon time and have some great deals,but that is big chunk of change there to spend.I have purchased items from hellolights and have great experiances there too.From time to time they sell retro 250 like the second link in you post for $90 to $100 x3 plus a retro 3 bulb actinic PC fixture and you would rollen.They also sell the same thang you saw on ebay for about $100 or so more

i would go the route of DIY. i have looked at champoin lighting for my next light. i am doing 2x400 MH bulbs and 4x110 VHO with 4x96 PC and some moon lights and i will get all this for under $800.00 so DIY to me is the best deal

Back