Building new canopy for my new 90 gallon - need advice

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
hi all.

I am putting in 2 - 250 MH running off of icecap ballasts for sure....

I also want to add some florescents too.

I was looking at either 4 - t5 or 3 - t12 VHO's again on an icecap ballast

These will obviously be supplementing the MH....VHO's are cheaper

Thoughts?

I personally would go with the t5's. They are more energy efficient than the t12s. Also they have a larger range of spectrums to choose from. I also believe that the bulbs last longer. t5s tend to last about a year where as t12VHO last around 6-8 months.

If I am wrong on this info, please someone correct me. I have never used t12VHO.

+1 Bj
T12s are old technology and not that great for anything except actinics.
I'd either retro-fit T-5s in there or a combination of T-5s and metal halides.

How is it cheaper to run VHO then T5-HO bulbs?

Is it because you run less VHO bulbs,less parts(endcaps,reflectors),less bulbs..For example an Icecap 430 ballast can run 3-110w VHO bulbs or 6-54w T5-HO bulbs.They are only going to be supplimental/actinic so the choice is really up to you.Remember,there are only a couple of actinic choices for VHO's.

If you go with higher K rated bulbs,you probably wont need to supplement.

You might be on to something.... as I am looking at the canopy and it is the type where the lids are on the top...

ie. when I add the t5 or t12 I lose the ability to raise the lids so I would have to alter the front or something...

DSC_0007_crop.jpg

It is being refinished before I get it but this on side of the canopy.

See what I mean the previous owner hacked up the top to add in the metal halides. So I am thinking I would need to add a solid top then add the lights. Then cut two panels on hinges on the front.

Any one have some thing like this they wouldn't mind posting? I would love to have look at how it looks after the mod.

I don't know that I would completely close off the top of canopy.You'll need at least SOME way for heat to escape.

Back