Building Your Own Stand?

Shep

Reefing newb
Ok, so I have been thinking about building or buying a new stand for my 55g tank and I was wondering what everyone's opinions were about which is better to do buy or build?

Also anyone who build their own stand could they estimate cost and hours it took to build.

Thanks!
-Tom

If you are good at making stuff, then I say build it. You can make it the way you want it and not have to overpay for mediocre stand.

I built one for my 125 gal tank that's actually a lot bigger than the standard stand, because that's what I wanted.

It probably cost me $125 or so and all in all took me a couple of days, but I worked on it whenever I had the time over a few weeks.

+1 to the DIY route.

I built mine for around $125 also (stand & cap) . I could have had it built in a weekend, but I just did it in my free time after work.

It's nothing fancy , but it gets the job done.

All access panels/doors are held in place with magnets. Never have to worry about rusty hinges .

Bryan, your stand and tank look absolutely stunning! So I think I am going to go with the DIY way. Thank you for the info

-Tom

I builded a stand also. I want my 57g rimless to have a 40g breeder as a sump. Problem was both tanks are 36"x18". So I builded the stand 4'x2' and have plenty of room underneath. I would go custom.

I would go DIY. If you're comfortable with building things that is. I have built two tank stands, a regular four foot one and a taller three foot one that I had my 40 gallon on. I now plan on building to upgrade my current 40 gallon to some measure of a six foot tank and I plan on building that into a wall so that'll be fun to do. Anyways, I always go DIY, if it isn't cheaper, at least it's what you want instead of settling for what you can go out and buy.

Back