bulb type?

fishbait

I found Nemo
the time is getting near for me to replace the pc bulbs on my tank. it came with the dual daylight 6500k/10000k bulbs. i was considering going with straight 10k for a crisper look. do i need to stick with the 50/50 bulb for softie growth? or will they do fine under straight 10k. it seems like i remember reading somewhere that softies flourish under the 65k best. straighten me out on this guys. and no i can't afford to upgrade to t-5's yet:D

All 10k will look wash out,IMO.
How many bulbs?
Two bulbs side by side,I would go 50/50(10k/03 actinic) on both bulb.
Four bulb-2 10k or 50/50(65k,10k) and two 50/50 actinic(03 420nm/460nm)

BTW,420(03) is purple and 460 is blue.

the 10k will make everything looked washed out? i was thinking it would make it pop more. i have never had just straight 10k, so i wasn't sure.
i currently have two 65watt 65k/10k daylights and two 65 watt 420nm/460nm actinics.

ok, i will keep it as is then. just thought i would try for a better look if i could. i have also been thinking about supplimenting with one of those little single 55 watt t5's. if i could fasten or zip tie one to the back side of my fixture somehow without it looking like crap. what color would you recomend to really bring out colors? perhaps one of those pinkist colored bulbs? i don't know if i will be able to do it with my current lighting, but i would like to give it a shot.

the 10k will make everything looked washed out? i was thinking it would make it pop more. i have never had just straight 10k, so i wasn't sure.
i currently have two 65watt 65k/10k daylights and two 65 watt 420nm/460nm actinics.
i think too that combination will do great..mines are t-5 10k..everyting is doing good so far, but defenetly i need to upgrade..

I run straight 10k and actinics(not sure about them).Plus my T-5s are 4 10ks and 4 460 actinics.
I do want to try something a little different with the T-5s though.I'd like to get a little more blue when there all burning.

ok, i will keep it as is then. just thought i would try for a better look if i could. i have also been thinking about supplimenting with one of those little single 55 watt t5's. if i could fasten or zip tie one to the back side of my fixture somehow without it looking like crap. what color would you recomend to really bring out colors? perhaps one of those pinkist colored bulbs? i don't know if i will be able to do it with my current lighting, but i would like to give it a shot.

I think that would look great.UV 10k bulb looks pinkish.They make a Fiji Pink bulb also that suppose to be even more pink.I don't know where you can get it though,maybe reekgeek.com.

increase your 65's to 10K, and trade your 460 blues for 420 atinic o3.s and do 1/2 and 1/2. you will like um. crisper and more blue to offset the crisp 10K. alternate bulbs if you can so that you get as close to par as possible. good luck. now having said that, if your system is doing good, stay with what you have.

thanks john. system has been doing good as far as i can tell. i just wanted to make everything look crisper and bring out colors a little more just for my viewing pleasure. what started it all is that i bought some green star polyps a few months ago, and then some zoa's last week. the place i bought it from had them under 400 watt VHO's. and in a least a 210 gallon tank, placed in the bottom. and the colors just poped like you wouldn't believe. now that they are under my pc's they just seem a little drab, even being up high in the tank. i know that pc's dont compare that close to VHO's. but when he had the corals in 4 feet from the lights. and i have mine 1 foot from them, it makes me wonder if it's just my light spectrum that make them seem drab, rather than the wattage. mine seem plenty bright enough to me, shoot you almost have to put sunglasses on to look at the white sand! the german parabolic reflector seems to do a great job. i just have drab colors!

Back