Bulk head question

mopar44o

Reefing newb
So as I stated in my first post in the introduction section I'm new to Reef Aquariums and when I do get started I want to do it right. I purchased Reef Aquarium Science, art and Tech and I'm reading it now.

I have a question about tank set up in particular the Bulk head. I'm not getting its purpose. Is the purpose of the bulk head to allow the overflow water to drain to the sump where its filtered and what not and then cycle the water back to the tank to create flow?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the newb question.

Bulkheads are fittings that allow plumbing to pass through the side or bottom of the tank without leaking. If you don't have a drilled tank, you will not need bulkheads. You will need an overflow box that uses a siphon to get the water from inside the tank to the sump.

+1 BJ. It's a plastic connector that allows you to attach plumbing to it. It fits over a glass hole that has been drilled in the aquarium, and then you can either thread or glue plumbing (PVC or vinyl tubing, usually) to it.

jt_bulkhead.jpg

bulkheadback.jpg

That appears to be a custom overflow setup. It isn't typical.

intankoverflow1.jpg

This is a more typical setup for when no holes are drilled in the tank

images

This is a typical setup for when there are holes drilled in the tank.

And no the return flow from the sump is not enough for a tank. You usually want at least two power heads to create a more random flow and to help reduce dead spots where fish poop will collect.

That appears to be a custom overflow setup. It isn't typical.

intankoverflow1.jpg

This is a more typical setup for when no holes are drilled in the tank

images

This is a typical setup for when there are holes drilled in the tank.

So in that first picture the water enters the in tank overflow box where it gets siphoned to that reserve on the back of the tank. I guess as that fills it drains to the sump where it gets filtered, skimmed and then pumped back up to the tank where it starts all over again?

Back