Bulk Head Size

BigH55

I'm that guy
I finally got my frag tank and need to know how big of a bulk head ill need for a 250 gph pump and a 3"x3" overflow box

What size outlet is on the pump? I would try to match it so you don't have different size plumbing adapters to worry about. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 3/4" bulkhead tho.

I would never have a drain smaller than 1". But that's just because I'm anal retentive and it helps me sleep at night knowing the hole's tougher to plug up, plus I like to give myself the option to upgrade in the future. :P

3/4" is going to do roughly 300gph passively draining your tank. Obviously you can push a lot more water through 3/4", but not if you're just letting gravity do the work ;)

1" drain is my vote.

I agree with a 1" That's what I put on my 10 gal, 29 gal, and 40 gal. The bulkheads are not that bad. Where are you getting it from? Bigals online or fostersmith has them for roughly 5 to 6 bucks.

You can make your own bulkhead with 1" electrical PVC (sch. 80) slip to thread adapters (one with male thread, one female so they can screw together) from the electrical aisle at home depot. Get a gasket or o-ring that fits snugly over the male threads. Use a 1 3/8" hole saw bit.
This cost is a little over a buck, I just used these on my frag tank and fuge (both are sterilite tubs).
HTH

Back