bulkheads

poolshark181

Reefing newb
ok, so im completely clueless on how to plumb this overflow. i got 2 bulkheads from my lfs. now, what do i do about the piping for the sump? pvc? also, what about the return pipe. how does the bulkhead work for that? reverse it? or is there a pipe i stick in the middle of the bulkhead that fits it snugly? pictures of corner overflow plumbing would be great too, thanks.

I think Lionfish has corner over-flows.
I used a flexiable 1 inch tubing to run from the drain bulkhead to the sump.You can also use PVC which is what most folks use.
The return pipe should just stick down in the top of the return bulkhead.Then I used 3/4 vynal hose from the barbed end of the bulkhead to my return pipe.

so...do you just stuff the tubing into the hole(of the bulkhead) to make it watertight or...do you use a sealant? also, i paid 21 dollars for a 1" bulkhead and a 3/4"(i think) bulkhead, is that a ripoff?

Do you only have one overflow? Is it built in? I have two built in overflows. So what I did is put the tubing through the hole then use the nut and tighten it. Then you can use pvc or do like yote did. I used pvc. First you need to decide where you want your sump to sit. Then do your plumbing from there. If you go to the build threads you'll find some plumbing pics posted there. Did you get check valve and ball valve?

For each of my overflows there are two drilled holes.One for the drain and one for the return.Is this what you have?You can use PVC or vinyl tubing,which ever you prefer.

it's a built in single overflow. im not sure i see this nut on my bulkhead, theres a gasket, but that' doesnt really tighten the opening at all. my sump is going to be sitting directly underneath my display tank. what's a check valve and ball valve?

A check valve is to prevent back siphon in case of power outages.I don't use one because I keep the return loc-line no deeper than one inch underwater.Also it has small holes drilled into the loc-line to stop the siphon.

A ball valve is use on right after the return pump so you can control how much water is being returned.

Lets start at the beginning. First look at your bulk heads insides. Are there any threads on the inside of either end? If not then you have what are referred to as slip fittings. They are called this because your solid PVC pipe fittings or PVC fittings slip inside the fitting (bulk head) and are solvent welded into place. If they are threaded there are threaded fittings made to use with them. Secondly, remember the bulkheads are supposed to be put in hand tight, do not use wrenchs. Third you should put the silicone plumbers grease on the bulkhead gaskets, put them on the bulkheads and install yhe bulkhead in from the inside of the tank. The bulkhead nut goes on the outside of the tank without gasket or lubricant. Silicone tape can be used on the threads of the bulkhead where the nut screws on , but it is not necessary. I personally use PVC pipe for all my drain and return lines, and oversixe all plumbing lines and valves. Less restriction, less friction equals greater flow. Remember to use as little vertical pipe as possible in your drain lines as they are restrictive , cause turbulence and are noisier than vertical or angled pipe. Use two 45 degree fiitings instead of 90 degree fittings where possible in return lines. Bulkheads are expensive unless you look around. I pay $3.50 for 3/4" and $4.25 for 1" from a local company that makes plastic water tanks for hauling and storing drinking water. The local hardware stores want double that, and the LFS triple that price. It would take two too three full written pages to take you all the way through plumbing an overflow and a good return system with unions and ball valves, over flows, return line, anti siphon drain holes, Durso Standpipes, selection of pump size etc. That is if you are a novice at plumbing and have not set up a tank before. I would be glad to write you through it, but not on open forum. If you need complete information or a lot of information send me a personal email for information. One word of caution though, if you think vinyl pipe is easier, remember easier is not necessarily better. Vinyl tubing has very restrivtive fittings. Think of it this way, a 3/4" diameter PVC pipe has an interior diameter of 3/4", whereas a vinyl pipe that is 3/4" in diameter needs a fitting that goes inside the pipe greatly reducing the inside diameter of flow at every fitting. PVC pipe has its fittings around the outside of the pipe therefore the flow diameter is not reduced at fittings. PVC pipe maybe requires more patience in its installation, but the outcome is much better than with vinyl pipe.

Back