Bull shark catfish

Smitty

Reef pro
Hey guys, I puchased one of these at the lfs and acclimated to saltwater a few weeks ago, and placed it in my FO tank, my question is, is this catfish reef safe?

Attachments

• bull shark.jpg
    bull shark.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 32,982
I seen the lfs had some in their saltwater tanks for sale, so i bought one out of curiosity, knowing they are fresh/brackish fish...but I would not put it in my reef tank, i was just wondering if it was reef safe...

Dustin,Those are a salt/brackish water catfish.
Nope,their not reef safe.They are prime predators that can and will eat anything they can fit down their gullets.

thanks Yote, i would not dare put him in with my corals and small fish, but was just curious...actually thinking of acclimating him back to fresh water and putting him in with my cichlids...thanks again

Smitty,Be aware that if you get stuck by one of those spines,your going to need medical attention.The fin spines are typical of catfish,but with a more potent bacteria on em that can lead all kinds of infection.

Trust me, i don't put my hand near him...He has gotten stuck in the net several times...It just looks painful

LOL...Hey Dustin, you thought I was CRAZY!!! LOL
well when something seems far fetched to me i dont know if it serious or not because people use to come on here and ask if they could keep they cast of finding nemo in a 20 gallon tank and then they would never post again so i didnt know what was up

Trust me, i don't put my hand near him...He has gotten stuck in the net several times...It just looks painful

Painfull aint the word for it.
We used to catch those all the time when I lived on the Tx Gulf coast. We'd use them for cut bait when we'd go shark fishing.Had one fin the side of my leg while I was trying to unhook it.Cost me a month and half of work,and come close to losing my leg.

Thanks.Thats not an experince that I'd like to try again.
Although I'd sure like to make a trip back down there and do some sheepshead fishing :D

well when something seems far fetched to me i dont know if it serious or not because people use to come on here and ask if they could keep they cast of finding nemo in a 20 gallon tank and then they would never post again so i didnt know what was up

We've had that particular question three or four times, and unfortunately I think everyone was serious...

You wouldnt believe how many people come into the store wanting a 20 gallon or smaller and want the entire cast of that movie.
I've got to the point that as soon as they mention finding Nemo.I tell them they need a 2000 gallon tank and never even crack smile.

Back