Bullet Goby creating snow!!!

vrod2169

Reefing newb
Need some advice here please!:D I put a bullet goby about 3 inches long in my 300 gal tank which has a DSB. He is doing a great job of stiring the sand but he drops may too much near a closed loop intake and the crystal clear water now has debris floating through tank. He also drops much of it near the flow returns at the bottom and there is sand on all the bottom rock creating a snow look! Would you get rid of him? LFS told me they would credit me back the full amount. My bigger concern is the water clarity is not what is use to be before him.

The goby is actually picking up the sand and dropping it in front of the retrurns I have at the bottom of the tank so the sand is blowing all around.:frustrat: Filter sock won't work here.:frustrat:

You're going to have issues like that with any sand sifting goby you add. Some are more careful when they sift through it but, they're hit and miss.

It's not bad, it just might settle on corals and irritate them, and make the water cloudy. But that's not easily avoidable with gobies.

:mrgreen:Yea turning the returns won't help too much since I have other returns at the top and they are also pushing everything around. Not to mention the messy eater drops it right on the suction side as well so everything comes out at the return side when he goes to that side of the bottom. I'm wondering if the floating debris is going to start to affect the other fish and stress them out soon. Would you prefer spotless water and find snails or other cleaners for sand? Or do you think his dirty habits will mellow once the sand has been cleaned out more by him?:question:

Back