Burnt wood treatment

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Hey reefers!

Just a quick question for all you DIY's.

I'm looking to have my uncle build my next tanks stand, won't be for A WHILE. Still, I'm already looking ahead to the look I'd like. I've seen some pretty awesome stands, but I want my to standout. I'm wondering if anyone knows what is needed and how to perform the method of getting the "burnt wood" look.

Thx

take a blow torch and burn it that will get it nice and burnt jk

Actually you're not far off :lol:

MDenny's got it...just make sure you get a nice wood grain to begin with; don't just get the cheap wood, get something solid and smooth, if the wood looks furry/splintered or you really can't see the wood grain, that's cheap. Once you've got your wood picked, a plumber's torch will work; if you use the lighter duty ones that look like or are for creme brulet, you'll have a lot more control and probably less sanding to do later, but it will take longer. Make sure not to actually touch the flame to the wood at first, there is a lot of heat coming of the tip that you don't see, and that will give you the nice "burnt" look rather than that "charred" look :lol:

After that's all done, do a base coat wood sealer as soon as possible as the wood can dry out fairly quickly...do sections at a time: burn then base coat, then do the next piece, later, when you do your top coats, be sure not to choose anything too dark or you will loose all the definition you just created.

FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

beavis_anim.gif

yea, well, it works, and i dont have to keep changing out all thoes little bottles...

speaking of torching stuff, ever shoot a tennis ball out of a pipe powered my acyeteline? goes fast, but it burns all the hair off the ball.

*Disclaimer DO NOT TRY AT HOME!!!*

Don't you know that just makes me want to do it more? :grumble:

It's like telling someone that's afraid of heights, "Don't look down!" Now I've got to try it and see what the fuss is all about...haha :mrgreen:

In case you guys see a news clip about new wildfires in California or the new YouTube video of the month titled, "Idiot sets self on fire" ...that may be me :shock:

OH! And yes, project, I've done the tennis ball/"DIY Roman Candle" :lol:
I like my potato canon better though, because I like watching the potato splatter :mrgreen:

yea, well, it works, and i dont have to keep changing out all thoes little bottles...

speaking of torching stuff, ever shoot a tennis ball out of a pipe powered my acyeteline? goes fast, but it burns all the hair off the ball.
Hmm and you said you where worried about me. I have done that and a bunch of other stuff I wont talk about. You never know when the ATF might be watching.

hehehe, yea, well... i was also the kid that at the tender age of 9 shot an acorn through a moving van, breaking a full length changing mirror that was inside the truck in the process...

compressed air, pvc pipe, green acorns and an imagination.... ahh the good ole years.

oh, acy and oxy in a trashbag, um, nope, i'm got gonna light that one, that'll pop your eardrums if you get the mix just right.. a baloon tho, now that i've done...

you take that thick green fuse that comes inside saturn rocket fireworks, dissassemble that whole box and get the fuse out, then use that fuse to tie to the tied off neck of a baloon filled with oxy and acy, then tie that baloon with a string to a helium baloon, light the fuse and release. depending on how long the fuse is, and how strong the winds are, you should just loose sight of it when it goes BANG!

Back