Button Polyps Not Opening????

cravinmohead22

Reefing newb
this has been going on for 2 months now. im getting a dark red build up of something on my buttons and its stopping them from opening. i move the frag to a QT and use tweezers to pull off the red stuff as much as i can. its thin and brittle. after i put the frag back in the DT the red stuff tuns neon orange and a day later most of it has died off and the buttons open up but not fully. i have to do this every 2 weeks and now i want a solution. anyone ever heard or delt with this before. all my other corals are perfect.

Sorry,I've never heard anything remotely similar.Maybe a picture might help some.

I've seen dark red coralline turn neon orange when it dies.Generally,that's temporarily before they turn white.I'm sure this can't be an algae or something,can it?

Where are the polyps in the tank? Top, middle, bottom?
What kind of lights?
Any circulation?

I had my polyps for about a month without opening.
They were in the middle/bottom under medium light without much circulation.
I moved them to the top under high light with a powerhead giving them medium flow.
They are HUGE now.

Not sure about the "crust" though.

ive had this frag for 4 months and it always opened until a little bit ago. it was at the bottom with medium flow but i just moved it to the top. i have 260 watt PC on a 55gallon.

Yote were can i get this lugols iodine at? do you have a link.

i can keep pulling this stuff off every other day if need be but im sure the coral will not be happy.

I would offer,but this dial-up takes like an hour to upload one pic.
Have you tryed photobucket.com?Its free,and once you've uploaded them,you just click the bottom thing under the pic and paste it into your post.

I have to go with the answer I gave earlier.It looks like some type of algae,the red stuff around the zoas.Is that hermit picking the red stuff from the zoas or is it just passing by?

...on to more pressing matter!What the heck background is that?A Ferrari flag?

To post pics from Photobucket, you have to copy and paste the

I have to go with the answer I gave earlier.It looks like some type of algae,the red stuff around the zoas.Is that hermit picking the red stuff from the zoas or is it just passing by?

...on to more pressing matter!What the heck background is that?A Ferrari flag?

the crabs never went on the frags untill i moved it on the rocks from the sand. i was watching it because i thought it was eating the red stuff too but it was hard to tell. im keeping my eye on it. and yes it is a ferrari flag in the backgroung. good eye reef freak. lol im a huge Formula 1 fan.

It should.Maybe run something to remove phosphates to.
You can try rinsing them off with some fresh water to.A few seconds wont hurt the buttons,and it'll wash any detritus off the rock.

Back