Buyers Beware

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by ibefishy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy

I would like to warn anyone looking to purchase something from the member known as fishbait. I recently bought a light from him and upon reciept found all 4 bulbs broken due to no effort made to keep the bulbs from being damaged. No FRAGILE warning was on the box either, although he says he told the post office.Insurance on the package was not offered so I can not file a claim with the USPS.
    I immediately sent fishbait photos showing the condition of the light as I recieved it and ws told "that happens when light bulbs are shipped." I agree that is what happens when bulbs are not properly packed.
    As I did not ask about insurance I feel I am somewhat at fault. In a second email I asked fishbait to pay for two of the bulbs and I would pay for the other two. Both the email and pm have been ignored.
    I feel as though I have been ripped off and dont want this to happen to anyone else.
    It is with the moderators consent that I have posted this message. What do you all think? Should I chalk it up to lesson learned, or do I have a legitimate complaint? Regardless either way I see me paying for the replacement costs.
    Photos below show how I recieved the light. There was no packing or foam or anything else around the bulbs and they were left in their brackets. The only packing material was crumpled up newspaper filling the 4" gap between the bottom of the light and the box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
    ibefishy, Feb 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. ibefishy

ibefishy

Here is a photo of the way the light was packed.

[​IMG]

ibefishy, Feb 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. ibefishy

gapiz

I've had that happen with shipping from various stores and marine supply shops, even with the units wrapped very well. Sometimes I feel if you mark something fragile, the shippers are more rough on the items. Chalk it up to no ones fault. Here's a link:
    eBay Seller: innovativelights: Pet Supplies, Home Garden items on eBay.com

I've done business with them before. They are pretty reasonable.

gapiz, Feb 18, 2008
  4. ibefishy

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

Dude it sucks that your bulbs broke but you bought them used. You could have paid full price and had the same thing happen. I dont think that the newspaper was a bad way to attempt to protect them. I dont really know what else he could have done. I dont think that bashing him here was the way to resolve it either IMO. But the term Buyers Beware is missing a word LET, caveat emptor friend, chalk it up as lesson learned.

RyanG, Feb 18, 2008
  5. ibefishy

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

When I bought my light from Foster&Smith.It came packed the same way.It also had a broken bulb.
    I think you'll be hard pressed to find anybody thats had any fixtures or bulbs shiped,that didnt have at least one broken.

yote, Feb 18, 2008
  6. ibefishy

cthegame

Sorry to hear about the bulbs. There is always a risk when buying bulbs online.

cthegame, Feb 19, 2008
  7. ibefishy

ibefishy

I understand the risk in shipping things like bulbs, but when nothing is done to protect them then I feel the shipper is at some fault. 4 broken bulbs out of 4 is a little too much. I could understand two at the most.

ibefishy, Feb 19, 2008
  8. ibefishy

SSalty Team Liquid Force

That's weak.

SSalty, Feb 19, 2008
  9. ibefishy

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

Very highly reputable as well. Sorry for your loss.

RyanG, Feb 19, 2008
  10. ibefishy

Bifferwine I am a girl

I agree that the bulbs should have been individually wrapped.

It's true that bulbs will come broken no matter where you buy them from, but at all the places mentioned above, they will send you replacements for no extra charge.

I tend to agree with ibefishy on this one, as we can assume that the cost of the bulbs (even though they were used) was included in the price he paid for the lights.

Bifferwine, Feb 19, 2008
  11. ibefishy

reeffreak

I sold my lights to someone here on the board.I've gotten so many broken fixtures from online vendors that I know that you really have to pack them good.Styrofoam or something else has to support the bulbs otherwise they will break.I'm sure Fish didn't realize that.

You should always discuss price,shipping cost and insurance especially for items that are fragile such as lights.The last thing I want is my good buddy to get a broken fixture and no insurance to cover out losses.

reeffreak, Feb 19, 2008
  12. ibefishy

daugherty part time reefer

I order five pcs once than they all came broken. they were all packed in bubble wrap and these little peanut things and they still broke.

daugherty, Feb 19, 2008
  13. ibefishy

LionFish Resident Photoshopper

I am at a loss for words here
    Was any insurance included with the shipping on this item, If not then the Seller is not at fault, I dont want to see this thing blow out of control.

I think fishbait is a very stand up guy and dont believe he would have sold someone something that he believed would be broken.

that being said is there anything that the shipping company do to replace the bulbs, as they are the ones truly at fault here. I know there could have been more protective measures taken to protect the bulbs but can assure you they would have been recieved in the same condition. With the swings in temperature the bulbs become more and more fragile..

my 2 pennies.

LionFish, Feb 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question