Buying a used tank and copper issue.

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Just a question.

I have seen how putting copper in your tank is not a good idea because the copper can leach into the glass.

If you buy a used aquarium and the previous owner had done this and maybe killed their fish and said screw this hobby, how will it affect the tank for the next owner.

Is this removed by a tank that is cleaned, or has been dry for a month?

I never thought about it before and didn't know if it can be a problem.

I think it cant get into the glass, but i think it can leach into the silicon seals. So i would just replace the seals if you get a tank that has been exposed to copper.

Yeah but how many people say "Tank for sale, put copper in it so clean the seals or replace them"

I read it leaches into the glass.

Also how many people would want to be taking the seals out and replacing them. I know I wouldn't. I would be worried I would be awoken by glass shattering and a flood.

I can't even believe it holds it at all.

Well I guess the top and bottom rings around it hold it and the seals are just extra but how much can they be responsible for holding it from busting apart.

If the owner actually admits to dosing the tank with copper, I would takeca pass. That's going to make keeping invertibrates difficult, and could also potentially harm any fish you keep as well

Yeah that was my whole point is what if they don't tell you then are you screwed.

Is there any way to test for it to be sure in case they lie.

Well, "try it before you buy it" is my suggestion....see if they'll let you fill it up to check for leaks, then while it's filled, I would test for copper. That's if you're really worried about it.

Copper being absorbed into the silicone and glass is usually not problematic. I've read things that say it does, and others that say it doesn't.

The bigger problem is that many people just don't know if they have ever used copper based meds. Unless someone can tell you for sure that they didn't, then you might want to pass.

Back