Buying a used tank, dont want the fish.

Bebop

Reefing newb
I'm looking at a tank on craigslist, it looks like a good deal. However, the lady wants to get rid of everything (fish, coral, rock, ect.) and I really don't wan't any of the other stuff except the tank and filter equipment.

So my question is two fold. One, I don't want the fish/corals. I can't take care of them while I set up, and it'll probably be close to a month between when I buy this tank and when I'm ready to put living things inside it. Do LFS buy fish/corals/rocks? I don't care if it's cash or store credit, I just don't want to kill these things.

Two, what is the best way to store live rock so it's still live after a little while (a week or so?). I don't have a lot of room and I can't really set up anything with filtration. I'd rather try to sell or give away the rock while it's still alive than let everything on it die while I'm setting up.

1. Depends on the LFS...some do, some don't...Petco usually won't...

2. 5 gallon buckets with some fresh salt water, heater and water circulation...and if there are coral a light.

I'm not sure exactly which ones. I asked for that info but she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

The post says:

Misc soft corals .... Leather, mushrooms and polyps
Misc fish .... Tang, Damsels, clownfish , goby's

From the photos there's a yellow tang and what looks like a purple dottyback.

If you want to keep any of the corals I might be able to keep them in my tank until your is cycled. The corals listed are all easy corals and will do fine in a new tank.

I might be able to hold some of the fish as well.

Most LFSs will accept livestock for store credit. Of course they don't pay you what they sell for (usually they give you 50% of the value).

Thanks for the info guys!

And little fish, thanks so much for the offer! I'm not sure if I will end up buying this tank, the lady is being difficult so we'll see. But thanks again for the offer, I really appreciate it.

Back