buying live rock

diver

Reefing newb
another new kid question........has anyone ever bought any of the Dr.Foster & Smith cultured, fully cured live rock? The price ain't bad, $129 for 20#, and I pay $7 to $9 per pound around here, when it looks good enough to buy.

I have heard good things about their rock. Before you buy from there, look for a local reef club. There iare alot of people getting out of this hobby. Also look at your local craigslist.

I'd like to buy uncured, maybe, but I'm not sure i wouldn't screw it up. Plus, it's winter and it could stink up the joint, couldn't it?

I'd like to buy uncured, maybe, but I'm not sure i wouldn't screw it up. Plus, it's winter and it could stink up the joint, couldn't it?

No question about it.Think dead rotten basket full of fish hanging over the tank.
I made that mistake last year.My wife was ready to kill after 2 weeks of the stench.We actually spent those 2 weeks with every window and door open with winter time temps hovering right around 30 degrees for the daytime highs.

That's what I was scared of. I know my sweetheart would have a knife out if I did that.
thanks for the confirmation on the live rock.

btw, would the scooter dragonet normally lie quietly on/in the sand ?
he was hopping all over yesterday.

well, I think it's time for a cold adult beverage for me. I'll check in later.

diver

I got rock from them and it looked nice. The problem with buying rock online is that the shipping costs are a lot if you do the 2 day or less air, which most suggest.

I bought Lalo live rock from Liveaquaria which was uncured.It didn't really smell bad at all during curing.Excellent rock,btw.I'm not saying not to buy the cultured rock but beware many times ''cultured'' can be heavy and not a porous as good live rock.Think of it as somewhat like concrete slabs.

My "uncured" rock from Live Aquaria didn't stink one bit either. And if I remember correctly, I got close to 200 lbs from them.

You all are great! I mean it....So much good info that you have.

I actually was wondering about the weight of the cultured rock, even though the description paints it as fairly porous. Thanks.
Dominick, since you and Bifferwine are obviously experienced "rockers", can you enlighten me on the hows of curing?
For example, is it OK to stack the rock up in a trash can? How high? And can you do the whole diameter of the can, and does it depend on if you can get enough water flow?
Do you have to take them out and clean them off everynow & then?
Do they need light?
I know they need heat.

Last, is your mention of hardly any smell because there really isn't any, or are you used to a really bad curing smell? I ask because I really can't unleash something rank that stunk up the whole house-it's been pretty cold & windy lately, too cold to open the windows.

I hope I'm not a pain with all the questions.

Alto, I hope you're egg crate turned out OK. Sounded like quite an ordeal.

diver

You can stack the rock up to the top. Usually the pieces are large enough that there's flow around them. Put a powerhead in the trash can to create some flow, and put a heater in there to keep it at the correct temperature.

I didn't take out and clean the rocks at all when I cured them, and I let them cure for about 2 to 3 weeks before I added them to my tank. I didn't change the water during this time either, and no, you don't need light. In fact, if you give them light you'll just get algae growing on them.

It's hit or miss if they start to smell or not. Yote has cured live rock, and says it was rank. When I cured mine, there was only a smell if you moved the rocks around.

You can cure the rocks either in a container or the tank if its a new setup.I suppose it all depends on the rocks and where you buy it from if its going to reek or not.If your worried about the rocks smelling up the home then run carbon.Otherwise,cure it as Biff suggested.

Another good site for cured live rock is Saltycritter.com.Excellent light weight and color on there cured live rock.

the rock I got from LiveAquaria was uncured as well and didn't have any more bad smell that a muddy shoe would have. I just threw it in my new tank and my cycle started right up.

Back