buying LR online

Brett

Reefing newb
My Christmas present to myself is gonna be a new 90 or 110 gal. Which means that I'll need to add up to 60lbs of live rock. At $7 per pound at my LFS, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good seller via the internet and maybe I can save a few bucks. Anyone have positive experiences with any specific online live rock sellers? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't waste my money on buying ALL live rock. Buy mainly base rock for your foundation then add live rock to cover it. Trust me it will save you tons of $ and it will have the same effect. In less than 6 months the base rock that is exposed will be covered with coraline and other creatures from your live rock.

$7 per pound is the standard going rate for rock at all of the LFS in my town. If you order online, you will probably end up spending MUCH more than that on shipping.

Actually, from my research on-line, shipping per pound is $1.39 for 2 day air. So I can get 67lbs of "Fiji Premium Select" for $200 + shipping would be $93, so roughly $300. LFS, same 67lbs would be $470 (not including sales tax, which is almost 9% in WA.) Save $175+. Granted, the LR at the LFS is virtually completely cured, so I don't have to put up with the hassle of curing it myself for 2-3 weeks ... but saving around 40% might make it worthwhile. Just curious to know if anyone has had good/bad experiences ordering LR via the internet. Prices quoted above are from liveaquaria.com, FYI.

I don't believe the LFS when they say their rock is cured, I have seen them dump new shipments right in the main tank the day that they get it. You could be buying live rock that hasn't been cured at all.

Back