Buying Macro Algae

Kizmar

#derpface
This is two part:
  1. What's the name of the macro algae that looks like a little green grape vine?
  2. Anyone know where I can buy some of this stuff to throw in my tank so my emerald crabs have something to munch on?

I already got a little bit from the LFS, but they didn't have much, and don't usually have any at all. I'd like to find a cheap source to get a wad of this stuff every once.

I pulled this from Google images... this is what I'm talking about.
refugium-4.jpg

That is grape cauplera (sp?), which i would actually caution you against. All species of caulpera can go sexual, which means they basically dissolve and cause the biggest mess you have ever seen in your life and a huge heart ache trying to get the water change done before serious damage is done because of all the nutrients released. If you already have some, make sure you clip it back at least once a week, that will help ward off it going sexual. The only species that I know of that is kinda safe is cauplera prolifera, which is very pretty.

I would look into buying macro algae at the two places below
http://live-plants.com/
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae

That is grape cauplera (sp?), which i would actually caution you against. All species of caulpera can go sexual, which means they basically dissolve and cause the biggest mess you have ever seen in your life and a huge heart ache trying to get the water change done before serious damage is done because of all the nutrients released. If you already have some, make sure you clip it back at least once a week, that will help ward off it going sexual. The only species that I know of that is kinda safe is cauplera prolifera, which is very pretty.

I would look into buying macro algae at the two places below
http://live-plants.com/
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae

Good to know about the grape stuff. I only have a little bit and the crabs have already eaten most of it, so I'm not worried about it at this point. I'll check out cauplera prolifera. I just want something that is cheap that I can re-stock as it's eaten up.

Macro's are like garden plants they go in and out of season certian times of the year. If you're looking for emerald crab food, call John at ReefCleaners, he'll take care of you

Back