Bye, Bye Mojanos

Smitty

Reef pro
I've been experimenting with different ways to rid my tank of majano anemones, so with my last experiment, I boiled some vinegar for about 3 mins, and using a 30 gauge needle, I injected each one I could reach...It's been a week now, and no signs of them at all...I still have a few left, but nothing like the epidemic levels I had. I'll keep you guys updated.

Oh wow! Boiled vinegar! I HAVE TO TRY THIS!

Nothing I've tried has worked on majanos. Even the aiptasia meds, when injected... They seem to grow right back within a couple days. Thanks!!!!!

Did you have to inject them completley or was you able to just squirt it over them?
I had to inject them with the hot vinegar...They shriveled up as soon as the vinegar filled their body...1 day later, no signs of them at all...if you dont get inside of them good, they will retreat, but come back a day later.

Thats what I thought. I have the pink tips they aren't majanos but similar in my 850, I am probably going to have to remove my corals and put in some butterflies. The tank is just to big to inject everyone. :(

Just do a couple every few days, until you get rid of them, or just the ones too close to your corals...you don't want to put too much vinegar in your tank at one time.

yea tried that the tank is 10ft long 4ft wide and 30" tall its almost impossible to get in there and inject them, I have laid across the top, made a long seringe to inject them with, tried a kliens butterfly (almost reef safe) he ate them then decided that he liked my LPS so we kicked him out...

I have heard that you can raise the temp to about 82 - 85 and that will kill them, but I dont dare try that with my fish and corals.

How much vinegar can one introduce into their system, Smitty?

As for the heat, after my recent tank boil I had a growth burst of these little shits. I have hundreds and hundreds of these things. Not only did the survive 95* all day long they thrived! I think they like warm waters.

How much vinegar can one introduce into their system, Smitty?

As for the heat, after my recent tank boil I had a growth burst of these little shits. I have hundreds and hundreds of these things. Not only did the survive 95* all day long they thrived! I think they like warm waters.

I used 6oz of vinegar, and injected each mojano with about 30units(little more than half) of the needle, until all the vinegar was gone...

As far as temp goes, I boiled the cup in the microwave until the vinegar was literally boiling out the cup(way more than 95*), and them quickly injected them, while it was still extremely hot.

Back