Cabbage Leather toxic?

montoya

Reefing newb
Hello all. Merry Christmas.

I have an opportunity to buy a large (7") cabbage leather at a great deal. Most articles I read however claim they shed a mucous layer on occassion that "may" be toxic to some stony corals. Some authors say they have never witnessed this toxicity in their own tanks despite the claims.

Does anyone here keep cabbage leather? What has been your experience regarding the toxicity? The only stony coral I have right now is my prized white bubble coral. The cabbage would be about 1 1/2 feet from it in my 55 gallon tank so they won't come close to ever touching.

Thanks.

Cabbage leathers are some of the most commonly kept leathers in the hobby -- I've had one for years. All leathers will shed their mucous periodically, so that's not specific to the cabbage. LPS corals like your bubble should be fine in the same tank as the cabbage. I'd be worried about more sensitive corals like SPS. Leathers are commonly kept in mixed reefs, so you will be fine. Make sure there is enough flow on the leather to help it shed periodically!

I have a large patch of them in my 125. They are not toxic and are quite toxic. They can being leathers wage chemical warfare with other corals that are too close. Just make sure plenty of room is between the cauliflower and other corals. But as far as it sloughing it`s necessary for the coral but not toxic.

003.jpg

I meant to say on my post they are not toxic and quite hardy. I dont see where I can edit it but that`s what I meant anyway.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately this particular item sold before I could get in touch with the guy. I'm looking to add a few corals/softies to my tank however and will definitely look for a decent cabbage leather specimen.

The only things that ever really get negative effects from leather mucous are sps corals, particularly acros. Even then, one can just position it a bit downstream or out of the way of the sps and be fine.

Back