Cal, Alk and Mag question

Marinne13

Northern Reefer
Just tested my newly setup tank, only about 3 days old with dry rock...no livestock at all but this will be an LPS dominate tank

here are my numbers: Calcium 490ppm, ALK 5.9 and Mag 960ppm

my Alk and Mag seem really low so I am assuming the reef crystals I am using have low mag numbers and obviously high Cal #'s which are lowering my KH

should I just let it go or raise my Mag and KH?? I am going to use the BRS dosers and 2 part when I get the money but can order the solution

What are your suggestions???

my PH is 7.8, Salinity 1.026, temp 79 and am going through the rise in nitrites of my cycle right now

I am using brand new Red Sea pro test kits

Last edited:
maybe I should switch salt mixes?? crappy thing is, it is a full 5G bucket or RC but not impressed with the low Mag numbers

I haven't tested my mix in a long time but I pretty much got those higher numbers when I did. You may have gotten a weaker batch. I am dosing pickling lime to be able to maintain those levels between water changes.

Prob a crap batch...I am thinking of switching to red sea when this is gone but I will be dosing two part or kalk when its cycled and has stock

Ok so I was reading the test kits wrong...my MG levels are actually 1200 and KH 8.1 but the calcium is only 390 at 1.026 with RC

what is up with that??

gotcha, I will give it a go...I did order BRS 2 part and will start manually dosing in a week or so once the tank fully cycles and I get the nitrates down

Back