Calcium in ATO

Many experts have said do NOT dose this way. As evaporation rates vary the dosing will change and cause an overdose. I tried dosing through the ATO myself and it caused an overdose of alk. .

I only do 50% water changes and I add cal and mag to the make up water till it almost precipitates. My cal stays fine for at least 6 weeks. IF you do a 50% make sure the salinity and temp are matched exactly.

I only do 50% water changes and I add cal and mag to the make up water till it almost precipitates. My cal stays fine for at least 6 weeks. IF you do a 50% make sure the salinity and temp are matched exactly.
So what is the best way to maintain the calcium level? I do about 18% (10G) of water change every week. Is it best to add calcium and alkalinity solution using automated dosing system? Or just add little every day by hand? Or it is better to use kalkwasser?
So far I found this article which states that to raise calcium level significantly its best to add calcium chloride until desired level is achieved and then use limewater (kalkwasser), to maintain that level
Here is the article: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Last edited:
So far I found this article which states that to raise calcium level significantly its best to add calcium chloride until desired level is achieved and then use limewater (kalkwasser), to maintain that level
Here is the article: Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

That would work. I don't know what it is, but there is usually a recommended max raise per day. So you would need to find out what that is and make sure you don't exceed that max per day. Once at the correct level you can try starting with a small amount of kalkwasser in your ato. The max you can saturate the water is 2 tsp/gallon. I would start with no more than 1/2 tsp/gallon and see how that goes for a week or two.

When I do a 50% and add cal to the make up water. I do not exceed the recommended max and I have never had a problem.

If you watch the vid he shows how to determine how much to use in the ato. It is all based on the rise of ph. Would need some way to read what the change in ph is. That is the really safe way. I know a lot of people that just use a weak solution and dont worry about it.

It will be hard to determine the pH change using API test kit :-)
I might need to purchase the electrical device to test pH

If you look at the cost of a ph pen....anywhere from $50 to $100 it makes a controllers cost much more understandable. I spent. $234.02 for the controller (which included a temp probe and ph probe) float switch and a aqualifter pump. Now I have the ability to use kalk in the ato which the controller runs and monitors, it also safe guards the heater, and turns on a fan if the temp gets to high. For the money I think this is the best purchase I have ever made for my tank.

Back