Calcium in FOWLR Tank

Marine_Newbie

Reefing newb
Tank has been up and running for a couple of months. I have gotten the routine of water testing, water changes, top offs, and general maintenance. Ammonia = 0, Nitrates = 0, Nitrate = 2.5ppm, pH = 8.2, are all in the good range. My question concerns Calcium. Is this an essential ingredient in the FOWLR tank? I doubt I need a reactor, but would the tank benefit from liquid additives? I have tried searching for information on this topic and have found a wide range of opinions. Since I want to graduate to a reef tank (soon, spousal approval required) would it help to learn calcium dosing in my tank?

As always, Regards.

Thats a good question, I have no idea, I have a FOWLR tank myself and just add calcium to it on a regular basis as if it it had corals to be safe.

I think the live rock can benefit from calcium,but doing water changes you calcium may be at the rite amount already.You may wont to get a calcium test kit and see what the levels are .In a reef you want between 400 to 450 meq/l.If you have or add to much calcium your water will look like a snow storm.

your water changes are probably sufficient at present, but you surely will want to get use to the calcium routine for corals. the time to get your calcium routine down is before adding corals, and then you may have to increase dosing once corals are added. so test and see where you are and add cacilum and buffer as needed until you find what your system demands ongoing.

Back