Calcium reactors

I don't have one myself, nor do I have coral, which is what they are for, I believe...confusing? haha.

From what I have heard, a calcium reactor takes crushed coral/rock/shells and turns it into a liquified calcium that can then be fed to corals that feed off of calcium elements in your tanks water. Rather than constantly buying calcium by the bottle and dosing it as if it were frozed mysis...you get a calcium reactor.

However, let anyone else who is more knowledgeable than me (and I know there are A LOT on this site) chime in and call me an idiot who doesn't know what I'm talking about because I'm sure I don't

Kid I think your right on.
I also think they're a bit confusing. I bought a nice expensive one 2 years ago and still haven't hooked it up. Guess I'll do it some day. Not sure where to get the Co2 though.

I actually got a bunch of crushed coral/shells with my tank when I got it off of Craigslist and the guy told me to use it as my substrate...when i talked to the guy at my LFS he informed me of what a bad idea that would have been and then showed me the calcium reactor with added note of..."You're just buying sand, rock, and water today....I don't want you looking at on of these things for over a year, and even then, you had better have gotten a bigger tank by that point."

Could have been building up a false confidence with me as they have gotten me to buy some stuff the rest of you have suggested against, but hey, it worked...I'm still a loyal customer.

I would trust that guy too.

A lot of the stuff people here suggest against isnt because the items dont work, but because the person suggesting personally doesnt think the benefits out weigh the cost.

Brian

I would trust that guy too.

A lot of the stuff people here suggest against isnt because the items dont work, but because the person suggesting personally doesnt think the benefits out weigh the cost.

Brian

I would add that different equipment works for some but not all, etc... so you never really know unless you try something to see if it works overall for your system.

Hmmm well this brings up a weird point. I don't add calcium to my tank but is still allways a little bit high. Like 25 or 26 drops. Witch is good for me though because I have sps corals that need calcium. Also I like fast growth that u don't get when calcium is low.

When it come to calcium reactors,you've got to decide weather or not the cost of the reactor and stuff to run it,is really worth it.You've got to buy the CO2,then you've gotta have something to control the PH,regulator and selonid valve.
Kids right on with what CRs are designed to do.

David,Pay one of your local welding shops a visit.They can set you up with the tank and CO2.Most of the time,if you set up an account with em,they'll just swap out the empty bottles for around 20 bucks or so.

here the paint ball place chrges so much by the pound or oz depending on how much you need and yes a welding shop will have the best deals

Back