Calling all EXPERTS: HELP!

bur01014

Reefing newb
My tank is going downhill fast....I have tried everything, not sure what else to do??

My setup: 55 gallon, 5 months old, 100lbs LR, 4X54 Watt T-5, 2 Korilla 3's, HOB Refugium w/ chaeto, Aqua C remora pro skimmer

My problem: All soft corals are closed up and dying....they have slowly close up more and more the last 2 weeks. These include: zoas, kenya tree, pulsing xenia, mushroom.....I can't for the life of me figure out why?? Some of them are starting to turn white and die.....

My Water: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate maybe a trace....Excellent.....but I don't have testers for anything else....

Significant Events that have happened recently (lots):

1. Changed out actinic bulb for kz figi purple bulb
2. Saw signs of ich on a hippo I've had for a while last week
3. Added flame angel 2 weeks ago...hmmm is he the problem? Do they like softies? Never see him touch them though.
4. Pulled out a mushroom I had rubberbands around for the last month to help it attach, forgot about it and it didn't look good....
5. One zoa frag had a bunch of red type algae- fluffy hair looking, I turkey bastered it all off.

Strategies I've tried:

1. Did a massive water change - 50% yesterday
2. Cut lighting period down some
3. Added carbon two days ago to refugium
4. Removed dying mushroom
5. Feeding less
6. Turkey baster all corals

I'm stuck now....nothing has seemed to help. I have acted slowly then I wanted because work has been crazy, but those are the things I've done. What else could I try? What could be the problem? BTW- LPS corals are blooming like crazy! Chemical warfare going on? I would love some help and advice! Thanks

I think the tank is too small esp with the hippo. It is not suitable for the tank. Also it seems like you added too much to your tank too fast.

Ya tank is too small for hippo...its only 2 inches, but it will grow fast. Adding too much water? Ya, I guess.... but did huge water change yesterday out of desperation...I do 10% change per week normally...water test results posted in original post....

I think Kazarko was referring to the amount of live stock in your tank.

Anyway. There is something happening with your tank that is only effecting your soft coral. Was that a complete list of all tank inhabitants? Is there any way you could have any stray voltage? Have you recently added any water from a fish store that came with the fish? If so you may want to test for copper, but weird still that it's only the softies.

Okay- maybe I will go pick up a copper test kit tomorrow....if I do find copper....how can I remove it? I am running carbon already....

If you can't get all of your test kits that you need immediately, I would just take a water sample to your LFS and have them test for everything. Everything. your water is probably out of whack and since you have limited tests, you can't properly diagnose the problem. Are you doing your water changes with tap water?

What kind of water are you using?

RO/DI or tap water? Tap water contains tons of :pooh: and will kill your corals. I know from experience. Since I have been using RO, my tank is doing alot better.

+1 Smitty. Copper? Salinity and temp?

I can't see anything obviously wrong from what you've posted. Yes, the flame angel is known to eat corals, but if that was what was happening, I'm not sure why he would only be eating the softies (they tend to like all corals).

Waiting to hear about the tests... Then we can go from there.

I guess I figured SG was within the norm as everything else was. Sometimes it's the obvious that escapes thought. Definately need to know SG, Temp, and what water you are using to top off/water change with.

What are you using to test salinity? Hydrometer or refractometer? And when the last time it was calibrated and how?

Back