Calling All Fishies! hello!

DeFishy

Reefing newb
Hello all! Well, this looks like the place to be, I'm starting up a saltwater aquarium soon (in december), and I am now currently planning its occupants, setup, and general matenance. I do have experience with other fish, I have a Green Spotted Puffer, and I have several tanks with Bettas (these I'm breeding). Now, I am a beginner at saltwater aquariums, but not at fish. I've got a lot to learn, so here I am:D Ready to learn, and ready to meet all you wonderful folks:D I'll be seeing you around.

Mhm. So first question, and it's gonna sound stupid probably, but Sumps are absolutely required? My plan is a predator tank with either a shark, or an eel, or both if it possible. Keeping coral to a minimum for now until I can learn more about coral care. (I freaked when I first learned that certain corals can move) ha ha ha.
I'm starting out with a 100gal probably.

Well I wouldnt start out with an eel or shark in that sized tank. You could go sumpless but with a predator tank the extra water volume will make keeping your water parameters good easier.

Welcome to the site.

Mm, I do plan on getting a larger tank, but that will be in a few years. Right now if I had a 300gal tank it would go right through the cealing into the dining room probably (he he, dinner and a show, eh). I have looked up sharks and eels that are small, the ones I have looked at both could be in about a 100gal until full grown. I'm not gonna shove a HUGE shark into a small tank. That'd be cruel.

And thanks:D I'm glad to be here.

sometimes sites say a fish can fit in a certain sized aquarium just for more people to buy them. Local fish stores are the worst at this. If a larger fish like a shark doesn't have enough room to swim it isn't gonna be very happy and it will most likely knock over most of your rocks and corals if you chose to have them. You have to remember that 100g isn't 100g when you add sand and rocks. It becomes a much smaller area to swim.

I have looked up sharks and eels that are small, the ones I have looked at both could be in about a 100gal until full grown. quote]

An eel possibly, shark not a chance. You were misinformed on the shark, Im not trying to be arguementative but there arent sharks that would fair well in that situation.

Hi and welcome!

Sumps are not required. Many people have great tanks without sumps. Sumps make things easier, but they are not mandatory.

I agree about the shark comments... I can't think of any shark that would fit in a 100 gallon tank.

No, but you can run a decent predator with a smaller eel like a snowflake, a lionfish, triggers, all sorts of cool things that would go well in a 90. I would recommend a sump in a tank that size, but its not the be all to end all. Just get a good HOB skimmer and you are good to go

Hi and welcome! Listen to the great advice you are getting here. The reef is full of valuable info. Having come from freshwater myself, I can relate to you very well. It was a hard pill to swallow when I discovered that most of the fish I REALLY want need a bigger tank than I am prepared to keep. That said, I promise you that you will learn a lot and enjoy setting up a new tank of any size and when your budget allows for the proper tank, you'll know enough to successfully keep those sharks and enjoy them even more for it. Ask lots of questions and stock your tank carefully according to it's size and filtering capacity.

hello and welcome! i personally dont have a tank yet and am very new to this so correct me if im wrong but from everything i have read and seen if you dont start with a sump, or even a nice size one you end up wanting to get one going in less than a year so i would suggest just setting it up with the tank when you start it.

Back