Camera advice please?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by beeguiles, Nov 21, 2012.

1. beeguiles

beeguiles they call me fish geek ;p

My hubby wants to get me camera for Christmas maybe. I just want to be sure it will do a good job at capturing photos of my aquariums. He is looking at the Sony nex 5r right now. Is that a good camera for aquarium shots? The reviews seem to be good for it but really I don't know anything about cameras. I can't afford a Nikon so we are trying to find the next best thing that is affordable for us. Thanks in advance!

beeguiles, Nov 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. beeguiles

Ted Living one day at a time

I have been looking at cameras also..I found on shop nbc and on qvc that they have nikons and they break them down into 5 or 6 payments. I dont know if that helps but I am thinking of buying one for my own Christmas present....

Ted, Nov 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. beeguiles

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

IMO, if you're going to spend that much on a DSLR, you're better off sticking with a Nikon. Even Canon would be better (but I dislike Canons because they up and changed their lens connectors so you can't use old Canon lens on them hehehe).

I got my hubby a Nikon d500 from B&H a few years ago...it was originally like $700...by the time I reached checkout, I paid less than $600 and that included a comprehensive warranty. It came with a lens already. He later bought a super old Nikon 35mm for like $50 just so he could use the lens (something you can't do with an old Canon lens). You can probably get great deals from B&H on cyber monday. I'd check it out first if I were you.

My friend got a Sony DSLR from her husband. She hates now compared to our Nikon.

But def check out B&H photo first!! Your Sony costs as much as a nice Nikon.

wontonflip, Nov 21, 2012
  4. beeguiles

Amba Ol' Salty VIP Member

The Nikon D5100 is not terribly expensive.

Amba, Nov 21, 2012
  5. beeguiles

FishyReef Broke Reefer!

For me the biggest factor would be the ability to focus lenses by hand (which you can't do with any of the point and shoot or even more fancy but one step below DSLRs. I find it just to hard for my camera to focus through the water on what I want it to focus on.

FishyReef, Nov 21, 2012
  6. beeguiles

d2mini VIP Member

The nex line gets good reviews.
    They're a little too much like using a computer for my tastes though. I like my cameras to be as analog as possible. But either way, you want to make sure you budget for a macro lens.

d2mini, Nov 21, 2012
  7. beeguiles

But even if this one got good reviews, think about when you buy those extra lenses, and then decide later on to get a new camera body...what if the next sony bodies suck. But guess what...you're stuck with those lenses that would only fit Sony. I don't think Sony still needs more of a reputation to make that kind of investment.

Oh yeah, I've been accused by my friends for being a marketer's dream because once I find a product I like, I stick with it LOL

Mind you, I do love my Sony Cybershots, and once upon a time, Sony was my go-to for all my gadgets :D

wontonflip, Nov 21, 2012
  8. beeguiles

beeguiles they call me fish geek ;p

Hmm looks like I have some more thinking and searching to do. Thanks for all the input guys. I really want to be happy with the camera after I spend that much money you know?

beeguiles, Nov 21, 2012
  9. beeguiles

Whatever camera you buy, check otu B&H photo :) We buy all our camera stuff from there. Like I said....I ended up saving $100+ from them. In fact, originally, the discount was just $50...but by the time I checked out, I was surprised that they gave me even more discounts. So the money I saved I put back into a good extended warranty plan.

wontonflip, Nov 21, 2012
  10. beeguiles

hazelsdad

just remember to clean your glass before taking pics. :eek:P

hazelsdad, Nov 22, 2012
  11. beeguiles

d2mini VIP Member

Gretch, Sony actually makes very good dslr cameras. And they make the sensors in the nikons. Not sure about the latest batch of sensors but this was true in the past. Good point about lenses though. And Sony partners with Zeiss to make some of their lenses. But yes, you are a bit more limited with available lenses for Nex so that's something to think about it. Here's a lens roadmap.
    http://2.static.img-dpreview.com/files/news/1477505005/Roadmap.jpg?v=1839

d2mini, Nov 22, 2012
  12. beeguiles

Ted Living one day at a time

My bad... shop nbc and qvc have mainly Cannon qvc also has a pentax...anyway I like the fact that they break it into 6 payments with no interest. Easier to swallow $130 to $160 a month for 6 months for me then all up front. Here is the link to the one I am on the fence about... http://www.qvc.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-...-SD-Card-Search-Results.product.E223217.html? oh btw sony DSLR can use minolta lens I had bought my wife (now ex) a sony a230 and got a few old minolta lens on craigs list for dirt cheap.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    Ted, Nov 22, 2012
  13. beeguiles

d2mini VIP Member

Yup, that's true Ted. Sony bought out Minolta and used their lens mount. So if you have legacy Minolta lenses, that's an option.
    The canon rebel has always garnered praise as a good entry level dslr.

d2mini, Nov 22, 2012
  14. beeguiles

I bow to your expertise :D I just go by word of mouth. My friend's Sony dslr doesn't take great pics compared to our Nikon. Then again...she probably doesn't know how to take proper pics LOL Like I said, I love Sony, but just always think of Nikon when it comes to high-end cameras. Grew up with Nikons all around me. Maybe I'm biased :Cheers: But I stand by my lens comment.

wontonflip, Nov 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question