Camera help

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
what should I be looking for in a camera? My parents are going to get me one for Christmas and we always go by consumer reports on electronics. I see the Canon Powershot's are nicely rated digital cameras, but there are several. What do you think about this camera or others you have seen. What peripherals are key for taking pictures of fish?

what kind of camera are you going for because looking for a good point and shoot is a totally different beast than a DSLR, i have the canon powershot SD1100 IS digital ELPH and couldnt be happier with it, probably the best point and shoot digi i have owned and for 200 bucks at target you cant go wrong

Last edited:
There are so many levels of photography it's hard to give one suggestion. I've found that consumer reports usually gives very good and thorough advice on cameras and they are probably going to be a good resource for you. Basically, you've got two options, a "point-and-shoot" and a "single-lens-reflex" or SLR camera. The point and shoot will give you good averaged shots. The SLR will allow you creative and technical control. If you want to take amazing photos of your tank, take a class and learn how to use a SLR camera- WARNING- this is an incredibly expensive, obsessive, technical hobby (just like your tank!) I agree that the Elph is a very nice "point-and-shoot" camera. If I were buying a good SLR camera, I would stick with Nikon, for the point-and-shoots" I like the canon. As far as accessories to shoot your tank, the question is moot if you but the point-and-shoot. You may be able to get a filter or two for that type of camera but nothing will do as good as investing in good digital editing software. For the SLR, the possibilities are endless and it depends on what you want from your shot. If you're going the SLR route, send me some photos you like and I can point you in the right direction as to what type of equipment you should get. Congratulations on your new "toy"! You've got some pretty wonderful parents!

Catherine

in terms of digital cameras and not SLR. What megapixel should I be looking for. I have been checking ratings everywhere and each place gives different views on cameras.

I read good things about the Canon Powershot A590 IS which is pretty cheap and rated well and is a good starter camera. However, I am not going to be happy with pictures that look like beginner photos and I know the ratings don't take into consideration I am going to be shooting small fish through glass.

I need to make a decision this week sometime and it's driving me crazy.

Well I'm no camera expert by a long shot, but I see that camera only has a 4x optical zoom. I'm sure it takes nice pics, but you won't get any real close ups if thats what your looking for.

Back