Can anybody identify these... tentacles?

chipmunkofdoom2

Reefing newb
Okay so I see one of my snails trying to what looked like throw off it's shell after the lights had gone out on my tank. I got the flash light and discovered a pink strand (one of many) touching his flesh, and from what I can surmise, stinging him. I reached in and grabbed him and relocated him and then took a picture of these strange tentacles. I'm sorry for the terrible quality... I can't take pictures with the light on, let alone with it off.

docusmallgv2.jpg

Starting with the arrows and working left to right, the first arrow is the hole in the rock the tentacles are coming out of. There's some whiteness around it that looks like some sort of calcium buildup.

The second arrow looks like what the tentacles were aiming to get... some sort of detritus or food particles or something.

The third arrow is just pointing out how long the tentacle is.. it extends behind that portion of the rock there.

The red circles are areas where I think I've seen them coming out before, but they never made me think twice since I have all sorts of strange things protruding from my rocks.

The best way I can describe these things are... well, I suppose they very closely resemble anemone tentacles, but a tad more wide than a strand of hair and probably at least 6 inches long. They move as if they're intelligent and not just floating in the current. Anybody know what the hell this thing is?

PS: If those pictures aren't big enough, check out these pictures on this page: http://chipmunkofdoom2.tripod.com/strange_tentacles.html

Sorry I have to link you in such an indirect way... Tripod has very strict rules about how their pictures can be accessed.

Oh okay, thanks. That looks like it. It looked like it was picking up the droppings, if that's what they are, that the snails chuck out every once in a while.

Back