Can anyone please help ID this:

BriOnH

Reefing newb
I bought a live rock and a few of these are on it. Now sure if they are bad or good:

Tank_04.jpg

Much thanks in advance.

congrats you have an anemone pretty cool huh? Whats your lighting? and feeding they do good with just about any feeding supplement. Use a turkey baster or dropper and give it a dose of food every other to every third day they require 4-5 watts at least.

Last edited:
JellyMan said:
congrats you have an anemone pretty cool huh? Whats your lighting? and feeding they do good with just about any feeding supplement. Use a turkey baster or dropper and give it a dose of food every other to every third day they require 4-5 watts at least.

Sweet. Do you know what kind it is jelly? My lighting is good for it (little over 4w/g) What should I feed it? Right now I have another anemone that I bought that eats brine shrimp but looks totally different. There are a bunch of them on this rock.

I believe its called a Rock anemone feed it the same as the one you purchased they eat the same I have a couple in my tank that even catch the formula one flakes that my clowns cant catch.

that looks like a Majano anemone i'd kill it with the quickness. They will spread all over your tank and take over. WAY WORSE THAN APTASIA.

Andy stands a good chance of being correct on this one. watch it closely and if it starts to split soon you may want to remove it if not right away. There is a possibility it could be something else, but, Im leaning twards Andy call at this point and based on the pic.

I agree, it look like a nasty tag-a-long. I would get rid of it ASAP. I am a fan of being in control of what comes into my tank. I have not been lucky with trying to keep that which snuck in on a piece of live rock. I just get a crap-load of glass anemonies. dirty buggers. Your choice, good luck.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

There are about 7 of them on the rock I got. Man not sure what to do. So far they are nice and nice to look at. They haven't caused any harm yet nor multiplied.

Last edited:
Brion it is up to you it is your tank were just here to offer suggestions and help you out if you want to leave them then by all means leave them but document them in some sort of journal so you can look back on your expieriances with them.

Well I turned back in the rock. They were starting to multiply like crazy. Thanks for the tip on documenting them Jelly and you were dead on Andy, Marco and Jh. When one moved to another rock, that was the last straw! Anyways that rock was too big imo. I told them at the store about the little buggers and he could relate.

While cleaning my tank today I was moving my light and got electrocuted so badly!!! I am not sure how it happened but man, it caused every muscle in my body to contract. Before this light I was always careful to make sure the power was off for obvious reasons. I didn't think this light, espeically the way it is cased could do that. Man it sucked!!!

Thats why I installed GFI outlets to my equipment on Brion. Any thing electrical thats got to do with water should be run run off GFIs.
Could save you home or your life.

I dont want to scare you but house hold voltage/amperage and water can kill. You need to get some GFCI installed immediately.. You can get a 5 outlet unit that plugs into your wall outlets from one of the online stores i.e. premium aquatics, marine depot, and others. (NEVER, NEVER, PUT YOUR HANDS OR OTHER PARTS IN WATER AND TOUCH ANY LIVE ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT.) as you now know. I hope you are ok. Im kind of getting after you here so others will be impressed with your experiance and the lucky outcome. Sorry you had to go through that. Let us know how you are doing and what you do to correct the stray voltages. Im not sure what you touched but with a full light hood you should not have gotten shocked unless some water dripped into the fixture. anyways turn all electrical off before putting hands in water. Did you know a pump can do the same thing?. good luck. glad you are ok.

Back