Can anyone reccomend a good T5 for a 10g SPS frag tank?

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
So I wanna do a 10g frag tank to grow out some SPS, what would be a good lighting setup for this? I want T5 instead of halide to keep the heat down. Thanks for your input.

ok so i looked up the dimensions for a 10 gallon and there are two different ones.

10g leader= 20x [FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]11 x 13

or

10g long=
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]24 x 9 x 13

they dont make 24 inch t-5's so i hope you have the 20 inch long version.
[/FONT]

I got the odyssea t5s and they were great on my ten gallon tank. I had polyps,shrooms, and montipora growing in there but unfortunately I was having algae problems and had to take it off. It is currently sitting on my 30 gallon.

I think I'm gonna go with an Aqueon 20 gal long. 30"x12x12. Would a 6x24w T5 work for this? I think a 4 bulb fixture would be too little light (4.8w/gal) for SPS, although the light would be right on top of the frags practically.

The aqueon tank is not tempered. Boy, talk about a blank expression, asking a Petco employee about tempered glass aquariums. "uhhh... I know the glass tanks are pretty popular... uhhh..."
So I went home and looked at their website instead.

I think that 6 X 24 watt T-5s would be plenty.Yeah,you probably wouldnt want to set the frags in the sand,but your not gonna do that any way.

No sand in this tank, its only going to have eggcrate on a PVC stand, inlet, overflow, and a K2 powerhead.
Would a 4x39w Nova Ex be better than 6x24w, besides the obvious fewer bulbs to replace? I think it's actually a cheaper fixture than the 6 bulb anyway.

Whats the price difference?
I doubt 12 watts would make much of difference lights wise.Bulb replacement is probably going to cost about the same for each fixture.
I think either one will do fine.

well t-5's arent made in a 30 inch bulb so youll have to go 36 inches and have hang off on each side. also t-5's dont really follow the watts per gallon rule. just make sure the fixture as individual reflectors

I think I may go with the 4x39w 36" and have it hang off the ends a little. The nova has individual reflectors from what I read in the description. Boy this frag tank is gonna cost more than I thought (well, so does every other project in this hobby)!

Back