Can anyone tell me what this is for...

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
It's inside one of the built in overflows of my 125g. -- I'm talking about the short round bulb looking thing on the bottom left.... see the 2nd picture of it pulled out.

DSC00050Small.jpg

A picture of it outside of the drain...

DSC00051Small.jpg

It seems to be counterproductive, slowing down the flow...it's an odd thing to have in just 1 overflow drain pipe.

HAH my brother thinks it's some sort of regulator...if there's low water levels, it floats down and limits the flow into the sump, and the higher the level, it will float higher, letting more water down. Still dunno why it's needed, but sounds plausible.

I should turn this into a "Guess what it does" thread and see what cooky ideas people come up with!

I emailed the wetwebmedia crew (awesome guys...always helpful :) ) and they had this to say:

"Hmmm...it was likely at one time tied to the drain on the opposite
overflow
aspirating the line. It appears to be a "resonator chamber", used mostly
in engine
type applications. The idea is it smooths out the air flow and quiets
things down. See http://wetwebmedia.com/diy_durso_pipes_jg.html
and
http://wetwebmedia.com/SystemPIX/PlumbingPix/Oneinchart.htm
for more on this plumbing and how to do it. "

At least it answers my question :) So does this mean I don't need the other one?

Hahaha this reminds me of that segment they have on "Antiques Roadshow" sometimes where they have a bunch of antique collectors and historians try to figure out what some odd piece of two hundred year old equipment was for. ...IT'S...IT'S...IT'S A SHOE HORN!!

You guys have to much fun!

To answer the question though, That is one of the original reef ready overflow kits. Below that bubble tube is a plastic screen that the bubble tube slides into, that screen is suppose to have a large round filter sponge that completely covers the screen (nitrate factory). the bubble tube would float up and down with the level of the water in the overflow, it helped prevent airlock in the drain line and also stopped the gurgling sounds that would sometimes be created with water draining straight down a pipe. It doesnt have to be there, but it doesnt hurt. It was the predesesor of the new All glass Megaflow kits.
Hope this helps

Sweet :) Was it originally used in both overflows? This one only had one. Again, I bought it very used, hence why it's proably missing. So I guess both my brother and the wetwebmedia guys were right :)

It would have been in both overflows, but they wouldnt tie together as it seemed wet web was trying to say.
I would recomend you just replace them with some type of durso drain, but you can use them the way they are to.

I'm actually scared to unscrew the drains...as thick as the glass is, I don't want to crack it. It seems to have been sealed in, too. After spending that money on the tank, I'd hate to get a crack.

it looks like pvc in the overflow so don't unscrew it just glue in a durso using a union. or one of the two piece style unions that unscrew in the middle. can't think of the name but looks like you have plenty of room....

it looks like pvc in the overflow so don't unscrew it just glue in a durso using a union. or one of the two piece style unions that unscrew in the middle. can't think of the name but looks like you have plenty of room....

true union. i've never put a union on a durso standpipe... just cut it to the proper length. and honestly... if you're using a slip bulkhead, sometimes I don't even bother gluing the standpipe into the bulkhead.

Back