Can at QT tank be actually cycled?

bur01014

Reefing newb
So I have a QT/hospital tank I started about 6 weeks ago. I started it to treat all my fish for ich and to let my main tank go fishless. I did watchanges everyday the first two weeks, every other day the 3 and 4th weeks and so on. Now I have only been changing the water once a week like main tank. All I have is a bottomless tank with Aquaclear 20 jam packed with 3 simple sponges. Levels test safe (ammonia 0, etc.) just wondering if a saltwater qt tank can actually be considered cycled with only a HOB filter and no live rock? The reason I ask is that I am going to buy some fish tomorrow and instead of introducing sick fish, wanted to qt them for a few weeks to observe. However, I don't know if I can do the whole waterchange every day anymore.....u think this tank is considered cycled? Or are QT tanks always have to have waterchanges several times a week with no live rock?

Btw- I seeded half of the sponges for 2-3 weeks in my cycled main tank before adding them to the aquaclear filter on the qt tank....

I'd say that theres probably enough bacteria on the glass and in those sponges to consider it cycled.
Just watch it close and be ready for a water change if its needed.

I would say you are good to go. What cycle if any has come and gone. I doubt you had one, though. Good luck with the new fishes.

So I have a QT/hospital tank I started about 6 weeks ago. I started it to treat all my fish for ich and to let my main tank go fishless. I did watchanges everyday the first two weeks, every other day the 3 and 4th weeks and so on. Now I have only been changing the water once a week like main tank. All I have is a bottomless tank with Aquaclear 20 jam packed with 3 simple sponges. Levels test safe (ammonia 0, etc.) just wondering if a saltwater qt tank can actually be considered cycled with only a HOB filter and no live rock? The reason I ask is that I am going to buy some fish tomorrow and instead of introducing sick fish, wanted to qt them for a few weeks to observe. However, I don't know if I can do the whole waterchange every day anymore.....u think this tank is considered cycled? Or are QT tanks always have to have waterchanges several times a week with no live rock?

Btw- I seeded half of the sponges for 2-3 weeks in my cycled main tank before adding them to the aquaclear filter on the qt tank....
This will be good enough and you should be fine.Can't you use the media that is in your tank now?I did this a few months back when i set up a hospital,except mine didn't run for weeks before adding my fish.It was more like hours,and i ran a proper hypo treatment with no problems.Good luck with your treatment.

I'm going thru the same thing as you right now. Like mentioned already you should be good to go. I'm going to treat my new fish with ProziPro for the required period. Watch another week for any problems. And treat any that appear at that time.

I don't see why bacteria would live in a system where parasites can't. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the idea of a QT but I've always figured the idea was that you just do huge waterchanges all the time because it's the absolute only form of ammonia export since bacteria can't really live in copper or hyposalionity.

If you are treating with antibacterial meds, then bacteria will have a hard time surviving (even then, meds are usually specific for a certain type of bacteria). Parasites are a totally different life form, though. Treatments that work against parasites will not usually work against bacteria. Just like in humans. You can take antibiotics, but antibiotics will do nothing if you have a viral or parasitic infection. Anti-parasitic meds will do nothing if you have a bacterial infection.

Back