Can I add sand to my established tank?

AlwaysImproving

Reefing newb
I have an established tank with crushed coral in it right now. If I were to remove all my rocks, livestock, and water to a rubbermaid could I then add live sand and put my rocks, water, and livestock back the same day? Will I have to wait for the tank to cycle again?

no need to remove the rocks if you dont want to but add new sand slowly only around a 1/2in a week adding a bunch at one time will kill off the bacteria that is already in the sand and that die off can cause a cycle you can put some sand in a ziploc baggie and sink it than open it when it is at the place were you want it to go

I have to rearrange my rockwork and remove an annoying crab which is starting to imitate the grim reaper, just destroying everything it runs into. Its a 24 gallon aquapod so theres not alot of room to work with so far. Maybe I will empty out the bottom and go bare bottom while I rework the structure. Then take your advice and add a little bit of sand each week.

well if you are changing all the sand than dont worry about it just get regular dry sand and get rid of all the crushed coral. the live sand in the bags is a big waste of money IMO

Thanks for the quick response daughtery. Just to clarify...Im going to remove all the crushed coral/sand that is in the tank now and put in 10-20lbs of sand (good amount?) Then put my livestock, new water, and rock back in and not have to be worried about any negative effects?

you may have some but should not be to bad i think the most you may see is diatoms and some cyano maybe with the new sand but if you have enough rock you should not see any mini cycle. but to be on the safe side be ready for water changes so that if it does start to cycle you can do water changes as needed to keep the ammonia and nitrite under 1ppm

I wouldn't replace all the water at the same time. I think if you swapped out the sand, wait 1-2 hours for everything settle, and then do a partial water change to take care of the pollutants.

I'd say a 100% change plus removing the sand would really stress everything. Same reason when you move a tank you try to keep the water..

Back