can i get away with 1 ai sol?

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
My tank dimensions are 36"L x 13"W x 24"H
I hear they're very powerful, I'm just wondering if they have enough spread.

As they are only 11" long, I bet you would have a large amount of shadow space if you went with just one. Even if you got it high enough to cover everything, your lightening might not be bright enough to get the 24" deep. Just my 2 cents.

My tank dimensions are 36"L x 13"W x 24"H
I hear they're very powerful, I'm just wondering if they have enough spread.

Sorry, but you heard wrong. Most people running AI Sol's and having success are running T5's to supplement them as well. Also, the Sol's only have an 18" coverage per fixture.

For the price of a Sol, and a controller (which you need to run it) you would be much happier with a Kessil A350. They offer better coverage, and a much broader spectrum.

Last edited:
I would do the A350W, which has a wider lens angle and would work great for your tank. Several places carry them. I purchased mine from Marine Depot. Since I am covering a 24x24x24, I got the straight A350. All of my corals are loving it except the colt coral. Go figure. I started it at 35% on both channels and I am up to 45%. Im not going to increase it again until my colt decides what it's doing. But all of my LPS, SPS, zoas and clam are super happy. Check out the new light on my cube thread :D

No dusk/dawn. Not programmable. Just has two dials for adjusting intensity/color. You can have on the blue only but its a bit intense to be lunar exactly.
One would do fine as long as you got the wide lens. For the price difference and the reviews on coral growth with the Kessil, it was worth it to me not to have the program-ability.

Back