can i grow sps with this light configuration...

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
right now on my 55 im running a 48" marineland reef capable led fixture and a 48" hagen GLO t5 ho fixture that has one white and one super actinic bulb...and i just replaced the bulbs...
so far i have a brain, xenias, a pipe organ, green flowerpot...shrooms, a colt....they all look really good.

+1 Smitty I dont think it will be a problem at all. Just make sure you have enough flow also if getting into SPS..

ok cool...another question...
i just replaced the bulbs on my t5. one white and one blue...
should i have gotten a different color bulb rather than blue actinic since i have blue actinics on my led fixture?
like green or royal blue?
or maybe one royal and one actinic instead of 1 white and 1 blue since i have both those on my led fixture?
does anyone understand what im trying to say?
the reason im asking is because i know the ai sols and radions and other led fixtures ive seen have whites, blues, royals, and greens, and sometimes red.
so i dont know if itd help at all or should i just stick with the standard white and blue?

Last edited:
if going to jump into SPS coral I would really recommend getting a 6500k or similar that runs in that range.. Your SPS really will thank you for it.. think you can find them in a purple ( combines the blues and reds to really bring the colors out)..

if you have the blues in your other fixture I would change the blue out if going with a purple hue bulb.. Leave one white in along with the blues from the other fixture and then the purple hue bulb or 6500k bulb.. you can look at plant grow bulbs for t5 they run in the 6500k range I believe..

If you want a 6.5k bulb I'd say you should replace the 10k bulb with it. I'm guessing that with only 8 blue LEDs the marineland LEDs are a bit on the white side... And if you want you can put a purple or royal blue bulb in place of the blue you have.

I would suggest an ATI Blue Plus bulb, they have the highest tested output of any T5 bulb out right now.

so... on my t5 fixture i should have one 6500 and one royal blue?
along with my marineland leds with whites and blue actinics.
i do like the look of alot of blues but i just really want whats most beneficial for my sps whenever i get some

Back