Can I have Zoanthids?

drm180

Reefing newb
I was wondering if I could get some zoanthids and a ricordea mushroom. My tank has been cycled for a little over 2 months now. I have 2 Percs, 1 Smith Damsel, and 3 Peppermint shrimp. My LFS told me that I should wait a little bit since I have been protein skimming and that I need to wait until my water has some food for the corals.

you should be able to get some zoa's they are pretty hardy. as for the food you could always feed them some plankton:mrgreen:

I don't see any reason to turn off your skimmer. The skimmer removes waste from your water column, not trace elements. I don't spot feed zoas or rics. If your fish are happy and eating then the only thing standing in your way is are your lights sufficient enough to keep such softies?

My skimmer didn't produce anything but clear water in the collection cup. I had it as far as it would go up and not fall out. There would be some white foam come up and later just clear water.

i have a bunch of zoas and some rics and ive had my skimmer running 24/7 since the first day i got it...

oh and you CAN spot feed your rics... i do it every once in a while in hopes they will grow/split faster

Zoos and shrooms. Sure go for it. Those are some of the easiest corals to take care of. They have more of a chance to live than the fish.

i have a bunch of zoas and some rics and ive had my skimmer running 24/7 since the first day i got it...

oh and you CAN spot feed your rics... i do it every once in a while in hopes they will grow/split faster

+1, you CAN feed them. Personally i don't feed mine. It's up to you to feed them or not.

If you have 96watts over a 25 then you should be more than fine with shrooms, etc. I have 96watts over a 29 and I keep softies, LPS and I'm starting some SPS.

Okay. I think I'm going to pick up one of each next time I go. Should I put the skimmer back on or not? It wasn't pulling anything up but clear water on its highest setting. What does that mean?

You need to set the cup to where there are bubbles "cresting" at the top of that middle tube. If it's pulling nothing but clean water then maybe your bioload isn't large enough to produce a whole lot of waste and its being broken down in the tank, maybe. Someone else may have a different speculation.

If I set it as high up as I possibly can, then there is foam that sits on top of the middle tube. The foam is white though and I guess the bubbles pop into clear water. That was with only one fish. I just added two clowns so maybe it will work differently but I have no clue.

Only time will tell :D But if your getting good foam production I'm sure it's removing excess nutrients. Have you done the paper towel trick to reduce the noise?

Yeah that was one of the first things I did when I got it. The only sound I hear from it is the water going back into the tank. I should hook it back up then? It's not taking any plankton or anything out of the water that I need?

Switch that bad boy back on and let it suck some :pooh: up. The only time I shut my skimmer off is when it's feeding time, and I only turn it off because I shut my sump off.

Okay. Thank You! I'm glad I checked here before taking the LFS's advice. Even if its pulling out water its getting something bad out of the tank right?

As long as the foam is rising up that tube and pushing stuff into your cup then your getting some nutrient removal yes.

Sorry for the confusion. By nutrients, i'm referring to excess nutrients = waste.

Back