can i put coral in this tank

cooter1982

Reefing newb
I have a 70 gal Corner tank with a sea clone 150 protein skimmer
Wet dry sump ,heater, t5 lighting. 60 pounds of rock and sand/ crushed coral on the bottomand these fish
cinnamon clown -Lunare Wrasse - yellow tang -fox face tang -hermit crab
Clown Sweetlips -Porcupine Puffer - Hawaiian Bicolor Anthias-
Squirrelfish Samurai

would like to know what kind of corals i can put in if any
and if i can put live rock in. that my fish wont bother
060310100036_138131.JPG

Last edited:
I would say that you should be safe with the LR but I would deffinately get it from a reliable source or you could have some problems with causeing a mini cycle or even a full blown one if the LR has a lot of die off.

As fare as the coral I am sure there are some kind that you could get but I was unable to find out if all of the fish are considered Reef Safe or not even if they are there is always a chance that they will nibble on the coral or even just eat the whole thing as a snack. I am sure someone else will be alone shortly with the answer. I hope this helps.

If you want to change to a reef, I would recommend you get rid of the following: Puffer, sweetlips, squirelfish, lunar wrasse, and the rocks that are not marine made.

i would for sure buy a lot more live rock 1lb per gal and take out the fake how many t5 are you running because you are going to be very limited to what kind of coral you can keep with t5 and for the fish the only fish i would keep is the anthias fox and yel tang

Last edited:
jhnrb said:
If you want to change to a reef, I would recommend you get rid of the following: Puffer, sweetlips, squirelfish, lunar wrasse, and the rocks that are not marine made.
I agree on the removal o the above.If some of the rock is marine base you can use it to start the base.Alo you can cheaply add more base rock like the stuff on hirocks.com(There best quality stuff usually runs about $65 or $70 shipped )to complete the base.Next top it off with high quality live rock.Your tank may go though a mini cycle to.Also you will need a light ugrade for most corals Unlees you are running some kind of high wattage lighting already.Now if you want to keep the fish you might have some success with a low light coral like a mushroom(striped r spotted)

Last edited:
Back