Can i use a Tetra FS30-60 Power filter in a saltwater Tank?

fishkeeper0412

Reefing newb
hello i am in the process of setting up a 55 gallon saltwater (fowlr) and have a spare Tetra FS30-60 power filter and i want to know if i can use it in a saltwater setup?

Look at the instructions and see if it's OK to use with saltwater setups. HOB filters are OK but lots of people will suggest having a sump in the near future. You can buy or build one yourself. Look at the forum titled "DIY". I currently have a HOB but I am in the process of building my own sump. They are nice because you can set up a refugium and hide equipment in them like a heater or skimmer without having to show them in the main tank display.

Freshwater filters are "okay" to use in saltwater. Just okay, though.

You're going to need to change the filter pad WAY more frequently (like every couple days) and that gets pretty expensive. If you want to use it for flow, just leave the back chamber empty or fill it with live rock rubble.

i used a hob filter that came with my tank when i first started like erin said the filters get dirty quick i would clean mine every other day and replace once a week or week and a half

Back