Can Ich just go away?

Reef Nutz, im going to ask you not to make comments like this, it is completely counter productive. No one should ever does their main system with copper.. no matter what they want to achieve.
Counterproductive?? If he does not plan on keeping inverts or coral in his tank, then it is not an issue. This is the best stuff out there for killing this stuff, and we all know it. I give information to people who do not have it, it is up to them to decide. I have the warnings posted. You provide yours and I'll throw in what your afraid of telling them.

I have a Blue Hippo as well but it took like 2 weeks but the thing is this.

I can't say 100% it is Ich.

I had seen white spots on it but then I saw these other things that almost poked off of it but they were not totally white at the tip.

It is almost impossible to look at it because it moves around. I have that darn Yellow Fined Damsel that while it doesn't chase it it bothers it by whooshing it away from the veggie clip.

I thought he may be stressing it out a bit.

It eats like a hog and is very active. No other fish has anything though and I figured it will prolly go away. It actually seems to look better after it ate. It must be my imagination but I was like where did it go.

I am sure when they go into the bigger tank in a few months it will be less stressed out. I see all the fish seem to get along swimmingly.

I was about to slap it in a QT empty tank but then I decided not to.

I notice white spec on the fish but they are always in different spots because the Angels eat off the rocks and there are a lot of things floating around the tank.

i even saw a spec on the Tang eyeball in the center. It was not there and then it was in a second after I put food in.

Last edited:
See, to me removing the fish and putting it in QT for a period, then removing from QT back to DT, stressess the crap out of them, more than letting them battle the disease themselves. But, then again jmo. There is a thing called Black Ich also.

Counterproductive?? If he does not plan on keeping inverts or coral in his tank, then it is not an issue. This is the best stuff out there for killing this stuff, and we all know it. I give information to people who do not have it, it is up to them to decide. I have the warnings posted. You provide yours and I'll throw in what your afraid of telling them.

mate, its not what im afraid of telling him, how about you realise that a lot of people may start fish only and then move into inverts and corals...

Copper does not leave a system and can be present many months after killing potential changes and ideas you have. Thats why it is counterproductive.

See, to me removing the fish and putting it in QT for a period, then removing from QT back to DT, stressess the crap out of them, more than letting them battle the disease themselves. But, then again jmo. There is a thing called Black Ich also.

I do agree with this, I have never QT any fish and most people here dont either for the same reason

Just for the record it is not me who is listening to the copper thing it is the OP.

I already know plenty about this stuff.

mate, its not what im afraid of telling him, how about you realise that a lot of people may start fish only and then move into inverts and corals...

Copper does not leave a system and can be present many months after killing potential changes and ideas you have. Thats why it is counterproductive.
Yes sir, all this said you are correct. And again, I state, that I did provide the warnings, and this is a sight to provide all the information necessary to the aquarist, is it not?
But, no need to scold me again, I understand where you are coming from, and I will say it again, You are correct in what you are saying, I can't say otherwise.

To be honest phastroh, its not only you or the original poster im worried about. There are many people who read posts and misread posts and can see certain things as 'the way to go' and can really screw up systems. When copper is leached into a system, basically tell yourself that you will never have corals and inverts because it is so deadly. Especially if you are treating the entire tank! and even then, when you get a new fish the ich will come back anyway.

Copper should be limited to qt only. I dont say this to irritate reef nutz, but this is something that a lot of new reefers can misread and then find out they screwed their system and have to start over

Entirely correct. But, my job is to provide the information, not hold anyones hand while they decide when and how to use it. And I only give advice on items and things that I have used myself. Copper being one of them.
BEWARE: NOTHING IS A SURE THING : :mrgreen: AND COPPER SHOULD ONLY BE USED IN QT :death: : But.... :Cheers: That cool?

Yeah one place I buy fish at runs copper and one doesn't.

The thing is that if they get in a fish and it sells right away how can it even get the chance to be treated,

I figure when you go to a store and they don't have sand it is for a reason.

Then again even if they run copper how can that mean the Ich will be killed anyway or are they just doing it so they don't have sick fish they have to throw out.

Well thats not the way to go, we are here to be helpful not just provide information. If the inormation we provide can get someone into trouble, we should know when to say it and when not to. I dont disagree with a lot of other stuff you have said, just this one item that can cause major harm.

For example, someone that asks what they should add to keep their aquarium perfect after beign in the hobby for a couple of months should not be told 'put calcium in your talk' 'dose for alkalinity using this' because they will most likely overdo it and crash their tank. Experienced aquarists use it, and in this case, we do have to hold their hands to reduce their mistakes and create a pleasent experience for the people we want to call our friends :)

Yeah one place I buy fish at runs copper and one doesn't.

The thing is that if they get in a fish and it sells right away how can it even get the chance to be treated,

I figure when you go to a store and they don't have sand it is for a reason.

Then again even if they run copper how can that mean the Ich will be killed anyway or are they just doing it so they don't have sick fish they have to throw out.
Yup pretty much the case. You can get a fish from a copper tank, take it home, and BOOM, what the..... He gets ICH. You just never know.

would be very expensive.

I think an LFS would dose copper because their tanks are fish only due to their turnover and specific setups. This allows them to attempt to sell fish which wont infect our systems. Its not a bad practice, but I cant say whats the best way to go. My LFS does not dose copper, and I have seen no visible signs of ich on my fish :)

I learned a ton on this forum and have come a long way.

I read a lot in other places as well just to get as much info from different people as I can but I found there are more smart people on here than the other places.

And sexy women - you know who you are - It is the Las Vegas Crew just to those who know who they are.

Well, you have the best idea :) reading can teach you so much, but never as much as having to put what you learnt into practice! Especially when it comes to controlling chemistry.. yuck, I hate that bit of reefs.

Las vegas crew? who are they lol

Eh I don't want to blow their cover but you never know they show up on many many threads so keep a look out because they may be here soon and hopefully say yes that is me he is talking about.

Back