Can some one ID this crab?

bobby

I like to do bad things.
I found the shell of this crabs molt 4 months ago and thought he died. Well I just found him today and want to know what kind he is. He's green with two white stripes halfway down his head, he has red eyes, pointy pincher and flat legs. When hes balled up he look oval. I hav'nt noticed and coral dead or harmed so I dont think hes a danger to them. I have lost some snail but I blamed the hermites. Thanks for any help.
Picture149.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture151.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture152.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a emerald in my tank but he looks nothing like it. He has flat legs but spiky on the top and bottom.

it looks like an emerald crab ..( last pic)..or a close relative..does it has red spots were the pinchers articulates with the arms??

it could been then some kind of crab...they are oportunistic eaters so if you have softies..just keep and eye...i have various kinds of crabs in my tank..they somtimes eats the snails...( they are well feed by the way)..but i dont have soft corals in my tank so nothing to worry...only zoas but they dont eat them...ill dump him in the sump..or just keep and eye on him..

I have not noticed any harm to any corals in the tank. I didnt see any red spots the only thing that was red was his eyes. I dumped him back in the tank right by the hole I found him so if I need to catch him again hopfully he will be there.

Hay john you got any idea what it is. I have googled saltwater crab id then asked jeeves and checked melevreef but still nothing. I searched for about a hour or more and found nothing that matched. I did find similar body shapes and they said that body shape was the mithix I know the spellings wrong but I typed in the right family name and found no match.

just keep and eye on him...make sure your bottom feeders are well feed..so they dont feel the necesity to munch the corals...they have a good appetite..they keep the substrate clean of leftovers...

I looked at that site and fouond several body shapes but no color matches. The familys that match are mithrax. But it kinda looks like the 3rd pic down on the first link you gave the only difference is mine has white stripes down the center of him and a little lighter green.

very interesting sites freak..now i know why my sponge always disapears in my tank ..i have a Schizophrys dama, Decorator (Sponge) Crabs...thanks

Bobby you talking about the Evil looking crab with the red eyes?IMO,it looks related to the Mithrax crab or maybe a box crab of some sort.I say within doubt,get it out...could be an ambush predator similar to what I had years ago.

That info helped. He has a smooth shell and his claws are big but the pincher part is very tiny. I did see this claw about a week ago coming out of a very tiny hole to grag either ditrius or a piece of hair algae. Since nothing has been bothered except some snails a while back I think hes ok. I'll keep a good eye on him and if he does bother anything I'll move him to the 55 FOWLR or send him to crab heaven or the LFS. I dont think he killed the snails though because I noticed the hermits by the dead snail and found hermits wearing the shell the next day.

Yea thats the one I'm talking about but he dont look soo evil, but then again he is very tiny. His claw arm is huge about the size of half his head but the pincher it self is about 1/16 an inch or less.

The red eye crab at wetweb was exactly the one I had.It had a burrow under a rock.Mine was much larger than yours,be careful,I couldn't keep snails or small shrimps around with that crab in the tank.

Back