can someone please advise me on what protein skimmer to get for a 30 gal.?

rdang

Reefing newb
i am starting a 30 gallon reef tank and i want to get a remora aquac with the maxi jet 1200. I cant pay 160 for one though. Should i save up for months, or is there a better alternative.
Thanx im a nub. :bowdown:
Rob

in my opinion no other choice.

you can try to pick up one used... keep an eye on classifieds on here, nano-reef, and RC. good luck.

In a 30 gallon tank, you can get away with not having a protein skimmer if you are good about keeping up with water changes. You may have to do as much as 20% of the tank's volume once or even twice a week.

I have a BC29 gallon tank and the cheapo Oceanic skimmer ($35). I scraped the paint off the back of chamber 2 and filled it with cheato. My nitrates and phosphates are zero.

Seems like an issue if your starting a salt water reef tank and have no money but that's up to you. It's not a cheap hobby.

I just got the Tunze nano doc 9002 skimmer for $152. From all the reviews I read, the best two small skimmers are the Tunze and the Remora AquaC. If Mr. Sniffles can give you a deal, that's your best route. No point in skimping on equipment to save money and end up losing fish and corals.

Back