Can someone tell me what this is?

cwis24

Reefing newb
Hey Guys I just got Live Rock 2 days ago and i saw this on one of the pieces last night

Just curious what it was, is it good or bad ect...

thingonliverock.jpg

A quick note, when the light is off it seems to retract (almost like a flower closing up) when light is on it opens up

It appears to be some sort of zoo polyp but what kind I am not sure. Anyone else think so? It could be a mushroom but looks to have to many tentacles for that.

It might be a zoo polyp,but my guess is it is a rock anemone of some kind.could even be buble tip.In a few days may expand and the tentacles will stretch out.
Try some fresh brine and see what it does.

The picture is not good enough or at the correct angle to make a definite id, however, and this is just a wild guess and may not be correct. could be-

DISCOSOMA SANCTITHOMAE (=RHODACTIS SANCTITHOMAE) Warty Corallimorph.

-lighting - tolerates a wide variety of lighting conditions from bright to moderate.
-Range; Caribbean

-Food - Zooxanthellate, but does best if periodically fed small zooplankton, such as enriched brind shrimp.

- Good aquarium animal. Often reporduces well. Occasionally overgrows some other animals.

-Captive Care - this relatively common Caribbean corallimorpharian is easily kept and will clone itself repeatedly once settled into good conditions. It is almost intermediate in its morphology between other Discosoma and Rhodactis and may need a genus of its own. It is a robust animal with a rather stout column. Discs are sub-circular or elliptical. Color is bluish to green to brown. There is a fringe of small marginal tentacles and a region of large, often infalted disc tentacles surrounding the mouth. It reporduces asexually to form spreading colonies in nature, and will do so in captivity given proper conditions.

Back