can this sump design be effective?

devicore16

Reefing newb
what you think?
SUMP.JPG

it looks good but i dont know about the holding tank is the wall lower there unlike the rest of the returne section?

You dont need the holding section.Just leave that baffle out.You dont want to crowd your return pump.

i would switch the placement of the LS and LR with the skimmer so that everything gets skimmed first and there is more room for more sand and rock

I agree. Put the skimmer first, then live rock and live sand.

Also, all evaporation will occur in the return pump section, so if that section is small, your pump will run dry pretty quickly. Make the return pump section a little bigger and you won't have to top off your tank as often (if you have an auto top off, it won't be a problem).

I agree with the above posts. I just built a 50gal sump and tested it and they are right on as they gave me great advice. You will want the larger fuge section and largest return section your sump can accomidate. Just my thoughts.

i like your layout. i was wonder though, adding the live rock and live sand are you going to be running alot of light to keep you rock and sand alive? such as HO or MH lighting or just cheep lighting like you normally would for just the refung area? with the slandered refung lighting wouldn't the live rock/sand die?

as for regular refung lighting im mean something like this.
FEIT ELECTRIC BPESL23TM/D MINI TWIST COMPACT FLUORESCENT BULB 23 WATT - DAYLIGHT

Live rock and sand doesn't need light to stay alive. It's live because of all the critters that live on it, mainly bacteria. The bacteria (which is what provides filtration) does not need light.

If you do want to light a fuge, you don't need to use high powered lights at all. Those bulbs that you linked to -- I use two of those over my fuge.

Back