can too much light hurt corals?

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
is it posible for light to hurt corals? how much light is proper i have a fluorescent blue 1 and a white 1 in my nano, should i do both of them on for 8 hours a day exactly? they say the fluorescent is just for looks

yes to much light can hurt corals some require more or less than others. you don't have to much light just keep in mind some corals lighting needs are different than others and may like it lower or higher in the tank. if you have 2 seperate plugs for your lights, one for the white and one for the blue, if it were me i would set it so that the blue comes on 1hr before the white, then have the white turn off 1hr before the blue. that way it simulates a dusk and dawn.

It's really hard to have too much light. And probably quite impossible in a Bio-Cube. In fact, most nanos' built in light systems aren't enough for most corals.

You can either keep all your bulbs on for the same amount of time or do as Newb recommends.

The small 70 watt HQI halide now being sold with/for some nano tanks can provide too much lighting for some corals if they are not slowly acclimated to the intensity. Actually it could provide too much light for even the light loving corals if they were previously kept under less intense lighting, or have been in dark shipping containers/tanks for very long. However, even the low light corals can tolerate the 70 watt light if they are not kept at the top of the tank. NO (normal output) flourescents could not likely cause such problems though.

With light its all about acclimation. Coral are more likely to be damaged when suddenly shifting from low intensity lighting to high intensity lighting. If you can limit the initial exposure than coral can get used to very high lighting intensities.

Lighting grate and fiberglass screen are wonderful thingsforlighting controls. You can cover for front to back of just a small area over where the coral to e acclimated is at,then cut screen small enough so that it is just over the area of the singlecoral and lay up 6 to 10 layers. Remove a layer every other day, until all layers are gone, to acclimate the coral. Acclimation is this way is much less stressful than putting them low in the tank and then moving them again up higher in the tank. Corals do not like to be moved.

Back